Discuss Shaver points on lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Richx

-
Reaction score
For general advice

In a bathroom - the shaver points are often wired to the lighting circuit.

Does this mean that a tooth brush charger will only function if plugged into the socket WHEN the light switch is “on”?

How to get round this? (I guess ask electrician to wire into the circuit before the switch ?)

What is the normal practice please?

If the shaver point is only on when the light switch is on, the electrician has made a mistake. I believe most shaver points have a switch built into them that energises them when a plug is inserted and as such they should have a permanent supply.

You can of course go the extra mile and install an isolator for them in a safe location, but in most cases they are simply connected to the lighting supply directly.

Thank you.
Currently the points only work when the switch is on
And this is very inconvenient
but why shave in the dark? i have enough trouble shaving with the light on, let alone trying to find my ugly facial growth in the dark. :oops::oops:.

It is quite common for the shaver socket to only operate when the light is on on the over mirror types.

Shaver sockets are what they say which is shaver sockets. They are not for toothbrush charging. Suitable ones have a picture of a toothbrush, but there aren't many. MK make one. Most manufacturers will advise you not to use a shavers only socket for toothbrushes.

The isolating transformers can overheat and lead to cracking of the plastic face plate

Shaver sockets are what they say which is shaver sockets. They are not for toothbrush charging. Suitable ones have a picture of a toothbrush, but there aren't many. MK make one. Most manufacturers will advise you not to use a shavers only socket for toothbrushes.

The isolating transformers can overheat and lead to cracking of the plastic face plate

So what about charging a rechargeable shaver? If they really overheat and crack the faceplate with a toothbrush surely it will happen with a rechargeable shaver. Which means they are not fit for purpose.

Having said that I have used shaver sockets without the toothbrush symbol for charging toothbrushes for years with no problems.

NB. The transformers in shaver sockets have poor regulation and output around 275v on no or low load such as when charging a shaver/toothbrush. For this reason I always advise people to use the 110v socket (around 130v on low load) to charge devices if they are the typical 100 to 240v compatible.
Going on from this I never fit MK shaver sockets as the 110v outlet won't take UK shaver plugs. Most other brands will.

I guess it is a simple matter of changing one wire over in the light in the bathroom to remedy your situation and would cost an hours labour??? I have never heard of shaver sockets being switched with the light but then what do I know I have only been at for forty years or more and still learning.

So what about charging a rechargeable shaver? If they really overheat and crack the faceplate with a toothbrush surely it will happen with a rechargeable shaver. Which means they are not fit for purpose.

If the shaver is rechargeable why would you charge it in the bathroom?
Surely the whole point of the shaver socket is to supply shavers which are fed directly from the mains supply.

If the shaver is rechargeable why would you charge it in the bathroom?
Surely the whole point of the shaver socket is to supply shavers which are fed directly from the mains supply.

Cause shavers get used in the bathroom.
Cause otherwise you'd need a shaver socket in whatever room you charge it. (or an adapter)
Cause in large households if you forgot the shaver and went to get it some Son, Daughter or other would nick the Bathroom from you.

My shaver light / socket is original to the house, 31 years and has been used for charging toothbrushes and shavers for at least 15 years, no signs of the transformer failing.

Oh, not a shaver point then!

As above, all that has happened is that done numpty has wired it into the switched live instead of the permanent live of the bathroom lighting circuit. It’s easy to fix, if you know what to do.

Cause shavers get used in the bathroom.
Cause otherwise you'd need a shaver socket in whatever room you charge it. (or an adapter)
Cause in large households if you forgot the shaver and went to get it some Son, Daughter or other would nick the Bathroom from you.

My shaver light / socket is original to the house, 31 years and has been used for charging toothbrushes and shavers for at least 15 years, no signs of the transformer failing.

Do they still sell rechargeable shavers with shaver plugs? I thought they had all moved over to external chargers to make product regulations compliance easier.

Certainly the shaver I have at the moment, and the previous one have 13A plug type chargers.

Reply to Shaver points on lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net