Discuss Shaver socket above bath in hotel - dangerous? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

smashed

Hi, Sorry to bother you all. Last year I visited a 4 star hotel (part of a chain) and found a shaver socket in Zone 1. It was to the left of the sink but directly above the bath. I could definitely see a risk for a small child standing in the bath.

I emailed the hotel to warn them and they said they would investigate and check all rooms.

I returned to the hotel nearly 12 months later and found the same positioning in a different room.

Is this legal or am I being a PITA over nothing?

Shaver socket above bath in hotel - dangerous? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Well..... its a SELV unit so not out of the question in that location, but I certainly wouldn't place one there by choice!

Tin hat on!

Being a isolated unit, the earth potential is removed via the transformer, so the risk potential is removed, we now have L1 & L2 with no neutral........But I would say, although isolated, why increase the risk by installing it in such a position.

Thing is......brings us back to the debate about socket outlets in bathrooms, and the fact that the UK is the only place that has kittens over it - it's COMMON in many many other [developed] countries.

Very common in most European countries, not just upcoming.....examples are Spain, France, Italy, Malta etc. With many using IP rated washing machines...they still install away from the bath itself.

Thing is......brings us back to the debate about socket outlets in bathrooms, and the fact that the UK is the only place that has kittens over it - it's COMMON in many many other [developed] countries.

Agreed, but we are talking accessories in zone 1, gulp.

I think the biggest issue here is the potential for that socket to be splashed/sprayed by the shower (if there is one attached to the bath) filling it with water and corroding its internals.

Thanks all... I had read from the 17th Edition wiring regulations that..

• [h=4]Locations containing a bath or shower[/h]This section has been modified according to European documents, and requires that:
    • Separated Extra–Low Voltage (SELV) socket outlets and shaver socket outlets are permitted outside Zone 1. 230 V socket outlets are permitted provided they are more than 3 metres from Zone 1.

I was worried that they have done nothing about this despite me warning them that it appears to contravene the regulations. Mind you, I assume no other guests have noticed / worried.

Thanks all

I think the biggest issue here is the potential for that socket to be splashed/sprayed by the shower (if there is one attached to the bath) filling it with water and corroding its internals.

There is no shower attachment (you can probably see this in the reflection in post #1) . I assumed it would be a signficant shock to a small child if he stood in the bath and put his wet hand on the wall.

But in a hotel where you don't clean up there could be and would be water everywhere large splashes of it rather than a shower spray

Shaver socket above bath in hotel - dangerous? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Which one are you dingle?

Reply to Shaver socket above bath in hotel - dangerous? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock