Discuss Shed supply from new build property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, as the title suggest. Friend of mine buying a brand new house from a reputable and well established builder. however it has already been 1st fixed.
He\asked the builder if he could have an U/G supply taken out to the detached shed. Yes they could, no problem.
Method. To tap off the kitchen ring final circuit.
I would of thought a separate circuit from the house consumer unit would be required.
Is it still acceptable to tap of the ring final circuit? I know it used to be done that way years ago.
Thoughts please.

You should have asked for a separate supply for the shed. If it has not had the ceilings tacked this should still be possible. If they are coming off one of the RFC via a fused spur you will be limited to 13A I
would prefer to come off a lighter loaded circuit than maybe the kitchen ring.

Agree with other posts. Nothing wrong with it as long as its via 13a fused spur, but you are limited to 13a......also kitchen ring is usually heaviest loaded ring so chances of getting the full 13a in shed without overloading the circuit are small. But simple answer, nothing in regs against it.

If coming from the kitchen ring was the only reasonable option at this stage I'd run a 4mm 3 core SWA via a 1 gang 20a or 32a DP switch rather than a SFCU then terminate at a 2 way CU in the shed with a 16a and 6a MCB for the sockets and lights respectively.
I've put a small tin hat on now. :)

You should have asked for a separate supply for the shed. If it has not had the ceilings tacked this should still be possible. If they are coming off one of the RFC via a fused spur you will be limited to 13A I
Already first fixed
You should have asked for a separate supply for the shed. If it has not had the ceilings tacked this should still be possible. If they are coming off one of the RFC via a fused spur you will be limited to
It is something you can do yes. Switched FCU off ring main and ran in swa. Although not something I would do for many reasons

13A I
I would prefer a separate circuit myself

Reply to Shed supply from new build property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net