Discuss Shipping containers pme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I have lurked here a while but have never posted before.
I have been to a site this week with a view to put some motors on some gates, however the current installation needs some attention.
The site is a builders yard sited probably 20 meters from a large house the yard is supplied by 10MM SWA from a Pme supply at the house dno sticker on the cut out.
There are a couple of shipping containers converted to storage units converted to storage units. They both have lights and two 13amp sockets.
The containers and the fence posts do not test as extraneous and this was a wet damp day. However I am uneasy about them being connected to the Pme given the new regs possibly meaning a lost pen conductor is not as unheard of as we are led to believe.
My instinct is to disconnect the earth and tt the site with a few rods but do you think there is a valve in keeping the pme earth also.
On my arrival there was no rcd at any end but have swapped main switch in container as had one on the van.
Sorry for long post.
Thanks
Tom

Why not just add a local earth spike to the existing PME supply?
I agree. PME / TN-C-S (meaning "protective multiple earth") already has multiple earths, so if you're worried then add another and test to be sure.

Hi thanks for the replies.
My concern really with that is could it be considered a temporary installation or possibly like a caravan so frowned upon.

No definatly made of metal but not coming out the ground as such.

Tested to house MET and also some deep Piling shafts presume it was outer casing but was stuck out ground prob ten meters ish away

Thanks. Tom

I would say they would be in the same category as portable buildings, dno would not approve them being pme'd.

Reply to Shipping containers pme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net