Discuss Shock from mirror demister! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all

Moved into the new house yesterday and started out by installing the heated mirrors in the bathrooms.

First one went without a hitch because we had the builder put in switched feeds to each of the mirror positions.

The mirrors are plain cut ones each with an adhesive demister pad on the back which are then wired to the live and neutral.

As we moved the second mirror into position I touched the metal tile trim which runs around the recess for the mirror with the same hand that was holding the mirror and got a shock.

I’ve checked all the wiring and all seems fine.

Any ideas or I do I need to call in the professionals??

Evening all

Moved into the new house yesterday and started out by installing the heated mirrors in the bathrooms.

First one went without a hitch because we had the builder put in switched feeds to each of the mirror positions.

The mirrors are plain cut ones each with an adhesive demister pad on the back which are then wired to the live and neutral.

As we moved the second mirror into position I touched the metal tile trim which runs around the recess for the mirror with the same hand that was holding the mirror and got a shock.

I’ve checked all the wiring and all seems fine.

Any ideas or I do I need to call in the professionals??
Call the builder back, did y9ou get any test certificates? I assume that the supplies to the mirrors were classed as extras to the main install, you should have received test certs for the extras, or was it a cash in hand jobby

Yes it’s a new Build.
I’ve called the builder and await a response.

Could it possibly be a fault with the demister it is it more likely to be down to the wiring?

Thanks!

Hi Tom and welcome to the Forum!
Safety first - turn that circuit off and get expert assistance as has already been said ... It could be just the mirror or its possible the wall could also be live. This can occur when a cable in the wall gets nicked by a nail / screw. So the fault may not even be the circuit the mirror is on, best to do a full check.

Ok, going to get someone qualified!

Out of interest, if a plasterboard nail has nicked the cable and the wall is live as a result, how would you test for that??

Also, I have found that the sparky has left another run of cable under the sink in the vality unit which I assume is for a shaver socket. It’s not terminated and just has wako push connectors on the ends. Surely that’s not compliant?!

Reply to Shock from mirror demister! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net