Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Shock from mirror demister! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Tom0787

Tom0787 EF Member

Evening all

Moved into the new house yesterday and started out by installing the heated mirrors in the bathrooms.

First one went without a hitch because we had the builder put in switched feeds to each of the mirror positions.

The mirrors are plain cut ones each with an adhesive demister pad on the back which are then wired to the live and neutral.

As we moved the second mirror into position I touched the metal tile trim which runs around the recess for the mirror with the same hand that was holding the mirror and got a shock.

I’ve checked all the wiring and all seems fine.

Any ideas or I do I need to call in the professionals??

2. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Call in the pro's

Is this a new build?

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Call the builder back, did y9ou get any test certificates? I assume that the supplies to the mirrors were classed as extras to the main install, you should have received test certs for the extras, or was it a cash in hand jobby

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tom0787

Tom0787 EF Member

Yes it’s a new Build.
    I’ve called the builder and await a response.

Could it possibly be a fault with the demister it is it more likely to be down to the wiring?

Thanks!

5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi Tom and welcome to the Forum!
    Safety first - turn that circuit off and get expert assistance as has already been said ... It could be just the mirror or its possible the wall could also be live. This can occur when a cable in the wall gets nicked by a nail / screw. So the fault may not even be the circuit the mirror is on, best to do a full check.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

And let us know the outcome!

7. Tom0787

Tom0787 EF Member

Ok, going to get someone qualified!

Out of interest, if a plasterboard nail has nicked the cable and the wall is live as a result, how would you test for that??

Also, I have found that the sparky has left another run of cable under the sink in the vality unit which I assume is for a shaver socket. It’s not terminated and just has wako push connectors on the ends. Surely that’s not compliant?!

8. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Iee wiring regs 526.5

Every termination blah blah blah shall be made at an accessory or ------------------ a enclosure

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tom0787

Tom0787 EF Member

So not terminating the wiring is reasonable grounds to get him back?

10. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    This may be tough to find unless you've a "smoking gun" as is your case. Is there an RCD for this circuit?

11. Tom0787

Tom0787 EF Member

This circuit is on the upstairs lighting RCD

• Like Like x 1