Discuss Shop Kitchen Supplies Installation Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jordanclarke

Hi Forum-ers,

I was hoping someone can help me, as I'm stepping out my normal line of work to help a friend.
I'm an electrical fault finder on the railway, but previously did some industrial work and so have BS 2391.
My friend is installing a small kitchen in a shop, the shop fitter has handed him some paper with the following circuits for the cookers, extractor fan and fridges, as follows:
A/ 3KW (Cooker/Grill)
B/ 3KW (Heating area)
C/ 5KW (Cooker/Grill)
D/ 13A Spur 1KW (extractor fan)

There is already a ring main for the fridges.

So my question is- I believe the A/B/C/ can run off a 45A breaker with 10mm cable (run of 5m), which feeds a double pole isolating switch, but is it ok to feed three items off of one isolating switch? I thought there might be a limit of two?
And does the fitter intend to take the spur for D/ off of this one isolator also?

While I am in the electrical field, I don't have much experience with thiese sorts of installations so couldn't really explain it to my friend, so really appreciate any help you can offer.

you could take D as a spur from the ring. as for A/B/C i would run a separate radial for each, each with it's own isolator.
you can then use 4mm or 6mm for each.

As Tel says mate, but you will need RCD protection. I would do as tel says, but fit a seperate consumer unit with RCBO's for each circuit, this is not the cheapest solution, but if you fitted a RCD protected CU you would loose all circuits if you had a fault, the RCBO route would just trip the offending circuit.

Cheers...........Howard

why RCDs, Howard, unless cable is buried in walls? it's fixed equipment.

touche.

cheers for your replies lads. I'll go with radials then. Though I might skip the RCD equipment as running the cables in surface mounted steel conduit.

appreciate your advice!!

one more thing please, if i use the 6mm cable i was gonna use 32A mcb for the 5KW and for the 3KW a 25A mcb. does this sound right to you??

The 3 KW heating radial could be run in 2.5mm with a 20 amp mcb if prefered and a double pole switch if its a fixed load

Another method of wiring this area is as found in ready made chip shop ranges
A seperate consumer unit fed by a sub main with circuits local to the loads
It may be more adaptable for any alterations to the cooking area,adding display lighting etc

Reply to Shop Kitchen Supplies Installation Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock