Discuss Shorting smoke alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

catwoman

Hallo everyone - your advice would be appreciated. We've two interconnected mains operated smoke alarms with battery back up. They're 9 - 10 yrs old and have coped ok with normal wear and tear as well as dust/dirt related to renovation and decoration in a 250 yr old house that's constantly a bit dusty etc. Last night I heard what sounded like "shorting" type noise coming from within the unit downstairs (I will check it's not a fly trapped inside but I don't think it is) which is also hanging a bit from it's mains wire from the ceiling. The green light is on - all the time I think - but it is beeping about twice every 20 minutes. I replaced its battery earlier this year. For now, I've turned off the smoke alarm switch fuse thing on the fuse board which also has a RCBreaker - am hoping this has made the alarm unit/s safe as it would trip wouldn't it? Do smoke alarms "short" at all? Any advice/warnings/very welcome please. thanks very much in anticipation. p.s have been reading about checking insides of such smoke alarms and am now more aware of safety aspects i.e. turn it off at the mains first. thanks again

Most smoke alarms have a plug that the cables are connected too.If it is hanging on its cables,it could be that the plug has come loose,and as you say shorting.If it does not have a plug and is connected directly,it may be a cable that has come loose.MAKE SURE THEY ARE OFF,check for loose plug/cable and re terminate.Then fix it to the ceiling.

As Malcolmsanford says below, probably best to get a local electrician in to inspect the alarm,as if it still shorts,shorting causes heat,which in turn causes fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo everyone - your advice would be appreciated. We've two interconnected mains operated smoke alarms with battery back up. They're 9 - 10 yrs old and have coped ok with normal wear and tear as well as dust/dirt related to renovation and decoration in a 250 yr old house that's constantly a bit dusty etc. Last night I heard what sounded like "shorting" type noise coming from within the unit downstairs (I will check it's not a fly trapped inside but I don't think it is) which is also hanging a bit from it's mains wire from the ceiling. The green light is on - all the time I think - but it is beeping about twice every 20 minutes. I replaced its battery earlier this year. For now, I've turned off the smoke alarm switch fuse thing on the fuse board which also has a RCBreaker - am hoping this has made the alarm unit/s safe as it would trip wouldn't it? Do smoke alarms "short" at all? Any advice/warnings/very welcome please. thanks very much in anticipation. p.s have been reading about checking insides of such smoke alarms and am now more aware of safety aspects i.e. turn it off at the mains first. thanks again

As Trukster said it could be the battery, even if you changed it you might have got an old battery or not as good a quality as the original, and with all that renovation and dust a good clean with a hoover would not go a miss.

The bit about it hanging down is a worry, it might pay you to get a local electrician in to have a good look at the fire alarm particular, and the whole system in general. I'm sure if you post you general location one of the lads here would give you help and advice.

Reply to Shorting smoke alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net