Discuss Should a boiler be able to turn on a pump? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently had a new hot water cylinder installed and changed from a y-plan to an s-plan. The plumber installed the cylinder, valves etc and left me to do the wiring.

The existing wiring was not great. The boiler is an old Potterton Netaheat Profile 50e. I wired the orange from the 2 valves, the live to the pump and the switched live to the boiler together in the junction box, and also wired the boiler into the permanent live (to reproduce what was previously there).

However, even with the programmer disconnected, my boiler can put power on the switched live and turn on the pump, presumably with both valves closed.

Should it be doing this?

I disconnected the permanent live from the boiler and it still seems to work with just a switched live when both the programmer and thermostat are on, but I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong by doing this.

Boilers can override any programmer instruction to run a pump for instance if a frost stat is installed, or for an over run, then they just pump round a bypass...

If you've followed an S-plan in conjunction with wiring instructions in the boiler manual then you should have no problems? If you are not competent to do that get somebody that is.

Thanks, suffolkspark.

I followed the wiring instructions and I'm confident that the wiring that I've done by the hot water cylinder is correct, it's just that I did not touch the boiler (and I'm not a gas engineer so I'm not going to) so I wanted to check the expected behaviour, particularly as I've read that some old boilers don't need a permanent live.

I didn't think it would be a frost stat turning it on in the summer, and I didn't think overrun would turn itself on out of the blue even with the programmer disconnected. I'll probably replace the boiler soon anyway as it's so old, loud and inefficient.

If the boiler puts power on its switched live connection to turn the pump on but the valves are not powered, would that mean it's trying to pump towards closed valves, or would they be open when unpowered? I thought they would be closed when unpowered, so only turning the pump on without opening the valves would not be useful, and may even damage the pump.

Last edited:
ok well gas do usually have an over run after you switch them off but yes to start out of the blue doesn't sound right, without test equipment to find out where this feed is originating though your not going to find out.

they usually pump around a bypass during over run so the the valves being closed doesn't mtter

512px-S-Plan-Wiring.gif
follower the yellow brick road Dorothy.:D

Thanks, but I'm already following the wiring diagram, and this one doesn't show permanent vs switched live on the boiler, or answer my question about the switched live on the boiler turning the pump on.

My questions have already been answered by suffolkspark so if the standard practise here is to close answered questions then please close this.

I assume that the factory link between live and switched live has been removed. This boiler needs a live, neutral and earth supply a switched live from the oranges of the valves. you then have separate output terminals for the pump.

Buzzlightyears diagram is spot on.
Most newer condensing boilers control the pump directly from the boiler, the pump overruns, to disperse heat.
Commercial and multiple boiler systems I worked with would have a shunt loop and pump plumbed into the system to have the same effect.

Wiring central heating systems incorrectly can be costly, if wired incorrectly it will reduce the working life of your boiler and void any manufacturers warranty.

Why the dislike for the first two replys which in my opinion is the correct advice ?

Last edited:
Because they don't answer the questions I asked. You could give the same "get someone else to do it" answer to any question, without even reading it. A bot could do this on any forum. I also thought the second post was quite rude and condescending, and did not add any value.

The better question is why did you dislike my posts? I was not impolite or unprofessional. I did not break any forum rules. I thanked them for their advice and asked for any answers to my questions, and I gave positive rep to the people who took the time to actually read what I asked and answer it.

Because they don't answer the questions I asked. You could give the same "get someone else to do it" answer to any question, without even reading it. A bot could do this on any forum. I also thought the second post was quite rude and condescending, and did not add any value.

The better question is why did you dislike my posts? I was not impolite or unprofessional. I did not break any forum rules. I thanked them for their advice and asked for any answers to my questions, and I gave positive rep to the people who took the time to actually read what I asked and answer it.

Its a free society we live in ............. just because you EXPECT people to give away their hard earned skills and knowledge to somebody with unknown competence is a bit unrealistic IMHO

Everyone who asks any question would ideally like it answered.

If you don't want to answer the question, that's fine. Just don't reply.

As I said, I got some great answers from other people here already and gave them positive rep, and I already asked for this to be closed if that's the standard practise here, so I'm just going to stop watching this now.

Reply to Should a boiler be able to turn on a pump? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net