Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Should an outside cable splitter be boxed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. gary2016ww

gary2016ww New EF Member

Hi all,

We are the leaseholder of a ground floor council flat in a small building. As we used to be with Virgin Media, it seems an engineer from Virgin Media has cut the cable which leads solely into our house and installed a cable splitter (situated a couple of feet above the ground) just before the cable goes into our flat. Rather than run a line across the wall of the flat upstairs who are having the Virgin Media installed - 3rd storey), the engineer has run a new line across the bottom part of our living room and kitchen wall to connect with this splitter.
    As I don't know much about electrics, my question is, if you're able to help, should this metal splitter be covered with a protective box to protect against weather etc. All the ends of the metal splitter are connected with cables (2 cables on one side and 1 cable on the other). Or is it safe to remain like this?
    I have attached a picture.

Many thanks

Regards,

splitter.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Respected Member

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    It is safe to remain like that.
    The installer has avoided excess high level work by running the cable horizontally at low level (but not considerately).
    The connections are F connectors that screw together and so should maintain a reasonable level of weather protection even if a sealant or gel has not been used.
    The connections, if not protected, will suffer from weather exposure degradation which will affect the signal quality over time, not dangerous but inconvenient.
    I would describe this as a low quality but functional installation.
    The splitter would usually be described as an internal splitter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Needs some sort of weather protection and machanical protection as next to some sort of pathway

• Like Like x 1
  4. ruston

ruston Respected Member

Yes safe , but rough and requires improvement.
    I doubt the clipping will last long either, that compo does not look the best.

5. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    I had VM come to install my cable tv, did exactly the same, a clip every 6 feet, splitter left hanging, when I called up the installation manager, I told him I would leave some feed for the "engineer's" horse, didn't go down to well either, still never mind, got fed up with waiting and finished the clipping and put the splitter in a suitable plastic box I had in my shed.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

If you get Virgin back to make improvements, ask them to put a few more clips on the cables and hammer in the nails fully on the existing clips!

7. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Thanks Mate not going to bother with them, my drive will only hurt their knuckles when they arrive.

8. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I was referring to the OP's pic :)

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    did a dog install that... ruff, Ruff.

10. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Oh sorry mate

• Like Like x 1
  11. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Forum Mentor

Obviously you need to reappraise your puppies apprentice electrical training regime.

12. 7029 dave

7029 dave Forum Mentor

If that's what VM use proper job.?