Discuss Should I buy a van with VAT? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im working self employed on site but am looking to get my own work as well. I’m looking to get a van as a car just isn’t practical enough. Could anyone advise me if getting a van with vat rather than without would be better for tax purposes? I’m looking to spend about £3k in total. I don’t have an accountant at the moment so hoping someone here might be able to help.

Thanks

When buying a car from a Dealer you still pay VAT, with a van they just show the price without VAT as they all think you are vat Registered so you can claim it back, buy From a private seller and you do not have to pay vat as it has already been paid but you will not get a Warranty

Thanks for the reply’s but I don’t think I’ve explained myself clear enough. I just wanted to know when I do a tax return next year would it more beneficial for me to buy a van with vat as opposed to buying private or if it makes no difference as I’m not vat registered. Thanks again

It makes no difference Gaz.
Just buy the best van you can for your money vat or no vat.
If van 1 is £3000 with no vat and van 2 is £ 2500 + vat as far as you're concerned thay are both £ 3000.

So you are wondering how you would off set the capital outlay against your tax ..... So if you paid £3000, you would have about £600 against your tax bill, if you took the whole lot this year.

So if you do spend the £3000 before the end of this tax year, you could reduce your tax liability, paid next year, for this year, by £600

Hope this helps.

If you purchase privately, then there would be no VAT, whether you are registered or not.
As far as I am aware, the only time VAT is not charged, is if you are intending to export, or if the vehicle falls within the rules for mobility allowance.

The OP has stated he is not VAT registered, it makes no difference to his tax affairs if he buys +VAT or inclusive of VAT, he cannot claim any VAT back, unless he registers for VAT which may be a drastic move to claim the VAT on £3k. In short as previously stated there is no benefit either way.

i wouldn't buy a van for £3k, lease or hire one

even if you hired a van from northgate etc the cost of insurance/maintenance is included in some,ends up being just as cheap without the worrys

watch out for thieves

buy a mini mpv

Reply to Should I buy a van with VAT? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net