Discuss Should I change from Domestic to Commercial in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky2108

I'm currently working on new build houses across Essex as a second year apprentice, although it can be "hard graft" it's not that bad and I don't hate it. However I'm getting to the stage now where I can do pretty much everything involved with wiring new build houses and I feel I should consider moving on to commercial/industrial to better myself and my career in the long term as an electrician.

The main thing I would really appreciate advice on is should I change companies? and advice on the transition from Domestic to commercial/industrial.

Cheers

I would definitely recommend getting some real commercial and industrial experience. There is so much more to being an electrician than wiring new builds. However changing companies is a big step and not sure if that would be a wise move. Depends on circumstances.

If you are an apprentice, could your employer not provide such experience? I wouldn't recommend that you walk away from a job and an apprenticeship!

Give me commercial any day, if you chose this route you will never want to do housebashing again.
He is only 2 years in Westie, IMO he is lucky that he is getting experience in the industry in today's climate, don't walk before you can crawl.! Having said that in my day Electrical work was just that across the board.

He is only 2 years in Westie, IMO he is lucky that he is getting experience in the industry in today's climate, don't walk before you can crawl.! Having said that in my day Electrical work was just that across the board.
Can't disagree with you there.

There is no harm in looking around to see if you can find another company where you could continue your apprenticeship in other areas of the industry.

If you can find a suitable job to move to then I would advise you to do it, gaining more varied experience whilst you are still an apprentice will open up more opportunities to you in the future.

2 years in is quite long enough to get a working knowledge of the domestic sector, I think it's safe to say he should be able to crawl by now. If he can continue his apprenticeship somewhere else where he learns about the rest of the industry then I think that it isn't his best option.

You say that in your day electrical work was just that across the board, but appear to be ad coating this guy restricting himself to just domestic work?

If you don't move your just end up a cheap form of labor, I know guys who are in the same situation on the cards and the cis route.

New build work runs like a factory production line, everyone as a role to play and that's how it stays.

The lads think they are going to become electricians and work for themselves one day, ie set up business.

You need to work towards a JIB Gold Card then you should always be able to earn a living.

If you don't move your just end up a cheap form of labor, I know guys who are in the same situation on the cards and the cis route.

New build work runs like a factory production line, everyone as a role to play and that's how it stays.

The lads think they are going to become electricians and work for themselves one day, ie set up business.

You need to work towards a JIB Gold Card then you should always be able to earn a living.
I'm in

I'm in this exact boat need some commercial experience don't care about domestic work I been doing it for ages I just need to complete NVQ my company will sub me out eventually but they don't like to move fast it's like they don't want me having a gold card stuck on labourers card

I know this is the case fortunately I haven't got long left until my am2 been on NVQ 2 years it's a ---- take if I'd got a start in commercial my NVQ would of been done ages ago

I know a bloke similar to you, he's got his am2 this July and he's not ready imo, they have been holding him off the testing side of things, boilers and other stuff. He's a good worker but limited given he's been doing it 4 years. He's doing a proper apprenticeship and I reckon the company would sooner he leave than complete because they know he's off if and when he gets his card.

The others are trainees so the company don't really care or want them to complete because again they are good cheap labour, but this only appears to happen in the domestic new build works.

Proper electrical companies that do all works, want apprentices to turn into good all round electricians and to prosper for the future of the company.

The thing is I do a lot of install and Test all my own work. I also work in occupied ones which is a nightmare so I've had quite a bit of experience looking for faults and working out problems. I don't think the am2 will be an issue I having more trouble getting all my units for 2357 as it's all mainly domestic rubbish.

Domestic is rubbish for people trying to complete an apprenticeship. Another lad I know rewired his dads garage in pvc conduit, singles etc to complete a unit, the nvq assessor's know people are struggling to complete units because the variety of work is hard to come by.

Anyway, that lad completed everything in the end and done his 2394/2395 as well and got his Gold Card, worked for a few different agencies and is now subbing to a company doing single 630mm s.w.a on a big data center as well as everything and is turning into a very good Electrician and earning £900 + a week. Lot of money for a lad in his early 20's but he worked hard to get there.

Reply to Should I change from Domestic to Commercial in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net