Discuss Should i get norton antivirus, internet security or norton 360? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

we tried norton 360. it virtually stopped the computer. get avg. free. less hassle and just as good. any new virus will bypass any anti-virus software anyway, untill it's updated. by which time it's too late.

Norton is the stuff that nightmares are made of. As Tel has said, get AVG and it’s free. :hurray:

I agree, I wouldn't pay for anti-virus. The free versions give you full protection, the paid versions just come with a whole load of unnecessary bloat.

You could also try Avast free version as well, it's as good as any other.

I use Norton 360 and have had no problems.

Disregard the Norton bashers - people who still dis Norton are living in the past.

Norton went through some years where it got bloated and lagged behind the competition, but it's back up near the top again in terms of protection and reasonable use of resources.

Now to your question:
You definitely don't want all three.

Norton Antivirus is just a basic (but very good) stand-alone antivirus.

Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Norton 360 are full security suites, which include antivirus, antimalware, and firewall.

Norton 360 has everything that NIS has, + additional features.

I beg to disagree I've used Symantec Endpoint protection and before that Symantec Anti-virus Corporate for more years than I care to remember (which is imho the grown ups version of the home pc software from Norton-lol) or AVG Free editions are very very good.

In reality all we can really do is stop the known virii as you will never stop the unknown (as they are unknown) but in fairness SEPC aletrs you to new or changed protocols as well and it aint that expensive!
And.... as long as your PC Runs OK thats fine
Also get yourself Malwarebytes AntiMalware
I use both every day and it suffices

regards

Last edited:
I use a package by ESET called NOD32 it's the nuts. You can try a free version too. I've used it for years, much better than the others!!

i use norton 360,it does slow the system down but mainly on start up while it updates etc,then its fine,never tried the free stuff but any virus that been blocked by norton has come from emails from mates using free antivirus software,id keep away from mcafee twice ive lost everything on my machine due to a virus even with updates,used norton now for 3 years not a pick of trouble,and the net minder for the kids pc is great emails you when the try a site or word you have blocked

I use McAfee on all the Windows machines I have. I find it very reliable and does not slow the machine down unless you have it set to do a full scan while you are trying to use it for real work.

Norton products have always caused me problems, not just performance but strange incompatibilities with other software.

I've tried AVG and Avast in the past but they are not as good as a commercial package.

As for M$oft being used for security - forget it - not on my PC's, its bad enough having to use Windows for an OS.

John

No need to buy anything these days. Comodo or avast for anti virus, adaware for malware protection and windows firewall is good enough.

Avoid getting any thing you listed, just get microsoft security essentials 2, its free and is at the moment the best free antivirus.

i agree with what has been said and any person who repairs them on a regular basis, you will find when removing norton and other bloated av software from clients machines the speed increase id considerable. I have to agree i use avg but have used avast and is a good, if you insis on buying a av then nodd 32 is very good but i also use crap cleaner and a few other programmes but generally if you dnt acept crap or go down loading from certain sectors of the net you wont get in to much trouble

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Should i get norton antivirus, internet security or norton 360? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net