Discuss Should I split PSU load? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rob99

-
Reaction score
In my current smart home project I have a total load in the panel of around 30A. Should I just use one big PSU rated at 30A or split the load across say three 10A PSU's?

30A? that's about 7kWH, that's about £1/hour, or £168/week. i would not call that a smart home, i'd call it a money spinner for supplier. :(

So if the PSU fails, it all fails?
Yeah, that was my big concern too, hence I thought splitting it across a number of PSU's might be more sensible.
30A? that's about 7kWH, that's about £1/hour, or £168/week. i would not call that a smart home, i'd call it a money spinner for supplier. :(
Sorry, didn't give you enough info - loads are all 24v and 30A (less than 800w) is the maximum assuming I switch every single light and LED strip on at the same time at maximum brightness.

so you mean 30A @ 24V equating to 3A @ 240V?

Also remember to include fuses or other protection for the wiring and strip. Splitting into 10a PSUs would also mean the overload protection on the PSUs would protect each circuit at 10a. I watched an interesting video recently about short circuit current and overload protection for LED strip. It's sonething people often forget.

Reply to Should I split PSU load? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I have UPS 50KVA and the inverter output AC voltage is feeding a distribution panel 120/208 V 4 wires when I check UPS display it shows me...
Replies
Views
we just replaced our hot water tank with hot water on demand (natural gas) and still have the old power run for the tank which is 30a 240v. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a hypothetical question (I'm an electrical engineer) to better understand RCBOs and how they are used in the USA. Let's say I would...
Replies
Views
I'm in the middle of preparing a quote for installing 12 x 3Kw and 4 x 2Kw halogen heaters in a church. The system design was provided by a...
Replies
Views
HI All, I am building a new house (self build) and have my part P so am running the cabling. My reading of the regs says that any appliance of...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock