Discuss Should I start working or carry on with education? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm currently studying C&G 2365 and 17th edition and I have no experience at all, I'm not sure whether to carry on with education after this year or if I should jump into finding an employer which is just a whole another story. I've been looking for ages for an employer who could take me on while I'm studying so I can try out what I've learnt into practice. Any tips and advice is highly appreciated, thanks for readying!

Hi HS - Building up work experience is a great thing to balance the study. I would make a list of all local electrical businesses (cps register, google search, vans driving about) and contact them. I'd also suggest you look for a mentor to help you word the email, script a conversation etc. Often you only get 30 seconds to grab someone's attention. Be hopeful that your contact will trigger one of them to give a keen hard working person some jobs to do !

Hi HS - Building up work experience is a great thing to balance the study. I would make a list of all local electrical businesses (cps register, google search, vans driving about) and contact them. I'd also suggest you look for a mentor to help you word the email, script a conversation etc. Often you only get 30 seconds to grab someone's attention. Be hopeful that your contact will trigger one of them to give a keen hard working person some jobs to do !

Thanks will do so! I've been relying on my college to give me some work experience but from what it seems they won't be giving it out to everyone which worried me

I would love to do that but only issue is everyone looks for previous experience and I don't have any and can't seem to find someone who does offer experience for someone like me

I would say from previous experience that you could get on site as at least a labourer, or even a mate to gain the experience.

last site I was on the agency sent us guys who had little to no experience. They work along side qualified guys so no issue. Just cant leave them unsupervised really.

write up a cv and get registered with agencies etc.

good luck.

I would say from previous experience that you could get on site as at least a labourer, or even a mate to gain the experience.

last site I was on the agency sent us guys who had little to no experience. They work along side qualified guys so no issue. Just cant leave them unsupervised really.

write up a cv and get registered with agencies etc.

good luck.
Thanks will do so! Any recommendations on which agencies?

Hi mate, I was in a similar position. I worked in my old job for the first year of college.

I registered with all the local agencies and they had me on a job within 3 days with no experience.

But...

I regret not doing it from the day I started college! I know I would be so much better at my job if I did so. After using agencies for a year, I had a CV worth looking at and put it out for a full time job. Which luckily I now have

Best of luck

Hi mate, I was in a similar position. I worked in my old job for the first year of college.

I registered with all the local agencies and they had me on a job within 3 days with no experience.

But...

I regret not doing it from the day I started college! I know I would be so much better at my job if I did so. After using agencies for a year, I had a CV worth looking at and put it out for a full time job. Which luckily I now have

Best of luck
Thank you for your reply! Could you tell me the agencies you applied for by any chance?

Depends on area, don't want to recommend you any that don't have jobs where you are.

Best to use indeed and look for electricians mate jobs in your area everyday, you'll see the agencies advertising them. Call them and explain you got no experience, they understand

Depends on area, don't want to recommend you any that don't have jobs where you are.

Best to use indeed and look for electricians mate jobs in your area everyday, you'll see the agencies advertising them. Call them and explain you got no experience, they understand
That's good to hear, I just skip all the electrician and electrician mate adverts because I know they'll ask for experience and above all that I'm not even fully qualified yet! I'll definitely call them, thanks for your help!

Reply to Should I start working or carry on with education? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock