Discuss Should I use 1mm or 1.5mm earth in domestic lighthing? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don’t see a problem with doing it with a knife. I just think it’s a faff and more risk of catching the cables. Trying to get your knife in a small accessory box is a pain.
Never s
Try a smaller knife. These are really solid, unlike the plastic ones.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-9MM-Snap-Blade-Knife/dp/B0001IW5A4
Don't think you would go wrong with a knife like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/goods4less...7896736&sr=8-3&keywords=ck+electricians+knife

When I look at a job and see split ends on cables and screws not straight in the fixings I think straight away "Ok not a top job here I wonder what other corners have been cut". I showed this to a third year trainee and like you @Cadgey123 he said it's a load of rubbish, not quite the same words but similar. I challenged him to strip ends of cables faster than me. He hadn't even got hold of the earth and I had stripped my cable ends. I know its a bit purist but that is my whole approach to be exact as I can. I just like to make everything neat and be very careful. I know I probably would get thrown off site if found to be doing such careful work but hey I am my own man I can proced pretty well how I like. Conversely if you inspect work that has been done the way I would suggest, you think Aha one of those guys, very fussy and careful ok...

hmmm.i might have banged my fist on the wall when cpc has snapped when using it as a ripping cord, but never had a sliced finger or a cut through the conductor's insulation.

what we need is as was developed by star trek .dr.mccoy .laser probe cuts through skin but not tissue ( insulation) and conductor ( bones )

Vortigen is correct,and then you just have to step back,and let each to their own.

I have,and would never,run a knife around the sheath of a SWA,because the tiny cut to the plated steel armouring,is where the corrosion starts...simple as that.

I would not unduly apply scorn,to a man using a knife to do the same task,it's just that he's wrong...and i'm not ;)

I can categorically state that using the CPC as a rip cord does decrease the CSA. Recently I had a small ring with L-L and N-N each measuring 0.10 ohms. Due to my poor de-sheathing technique the CPC when tested was 0.169 ohms. The 0.002 ohm shortfall posed a very real fire risk in my view so I immediately pulled the walls apart and rewired it all. It's a shame really as the plasterer and decorator had only been in the week before..

Just as a matter of interest @PEG how do you strip the outer sheath of SWA without the aid of a sharp implement?
I have always used either a Klauke or Thomas Betts scoring tool,which whips round the periphery of a circular sheath,with an adjustable depth,swivelling cutter. A couple of spins,and then pull off the end,results in the sheath coming off like an onion skin.

Same tool will do many sizes,and flexible cables,spring loaded design,blade can be replaced,although i never have,just dressed up with a DMT hone.

If i was demonstrating the benefit of such a tool to students,i would get them all to strip 6" of the sheath,on a 12" piece of SWA,using standard knifes,etc.

I would then strip 3" off the other end,using my favoured weapon. Both ends can then be coated in a weak acid solution,to speed up simulated corrosion,and left for a week or so.

When the remaining sheath is removed,it is obvious,which process is the most beneficial.

....Or,i could just accept the frequent advice,regarding getting either "out more" or "a life" :):):)

Reply to Should I use 1mm or 1.5mm earth in domestic lighthing? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net