Discuss Should my integrated fridge/freezer have an isolation switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Big Grumper

Evening all,

I've recently moved into a newly-built house and my integrated fridge/freezer does not have a separate isolation switch. I've mentioned this twice to the Site Agent (the chap responsible for building ithe house and controlling the subbies) and he's played it down, pointing out that there's an on/off switch inside the fridge for the purpose of defrosting. I also know that the appliance's external on/off switch (with the socket) is located behind the appliance, which is no use to me as it is a built-in unit and completely inaccessible.

I'm no expert but a quick search of 'tinternet suggests that all kitchen appliances should have a separate isolation switch as part of building regs (Part P?) or the IEE (BS7671) regs.

Would somebody mind explaining in plain English what I should expect and, if I am correct in my concern, point me in the direction of the regs so that I can complain from a position of knowledge and strength?

Thanks.

Andrew.

You're correct to pick it up. It is considered bad practice, however i don't have any documents in front of me to support that theory, maybe someone else will come along.

Another question you should ask is how are you supposed to replace the fuse for the appliance if it was to blow?

If it's not answered I will check for you in about 2 hours when I get back.

Last edited:
usual practice is to fit socket for freezer where it is accessible, either above the freezer or in an adjacent cupboard. alternatively a D/P isolation switch which can be part of a grid switch assembly controlling several appliances.the magic word, as you rightly say, is accessible. no use trying to pull the unit out if it's on fire. suggest you put your concerns to the building control dept. that signed the job off.

Unfortunately there are no requirements in BS7671 for separate local isolation for kitchen appliances.
You have it would appear three means of isolation at your disposal. The switch on the appliance, the socket-outlet and the device in the CU (fuse box).

it's a poor state of affairs if you have to pull an integrated freezer out to change the plug fuse ( as widdler has already pointed out. ) irrespective of BS7671, it's poor practice.

Unfortunately there are no requirements in BS7671 for separate local isolation for kitchen appliances.
You have it would appear three means of isolation at your disposal. The switch on the appliance, the socket-outlet and the device in the CU (fuse box).

Thanks very much for the prompt replies.

Just wanted to pick up on Spinlondon's point quickly. Technically I do have three means of turning off "the juice", though if I can only get to one of them and it happens to be inside the appliance does that count as accessible? As Telectrix points out this option is pretty useless if the fridge/freezer is on fire!

I've asked this question myself because it became an issue when doing a practice PIR on my own house in preparation for the 2391.
I had to pull out the washing machine and oven (It's only 2kW) to get to their respective sockets.
I was told the same thing as spinlondon says basically.

There are a few things to consider: Functional switching, isolation, and emergency switching:

The functional switch is on the appliance.

A plug and socket combination <32A is suitable for isolation. (Table 53.2)

The means of emergency switching shall be readily accessible (537.4.2.5)
BUT a plug and socket combination <32A is not suitable for emergency switching (Table 53.2)
Which then brings you to something that is...the MCB or RCBO in the CU (Table 53.2)

So no, the regs don't say you MUST, but many people do install them, considering switching off for mechanical maintenance (537.3.2.1).
Only problem is when some clown (mother-in-law) goes round switching all those switches off and your food's ruined - regardless of whether they're labelled up!
BUT a plug and socket combination IS listed in 537.3.2.1, just as the switch above the worktop (or a gridswitch etc) is

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Should my integrated fridge/freezer have an isolation switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net