Discuss Should There Be A "thanks"' Button. in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should we have a 'thanks' button?

• Total voters

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I for one like to be able to say 'thankyou' to a helpful post. I realise you can just respond to a post and say 'thankyou' but this not the same. The 'thanks' button was also a good way of seeing how truly helpful some members were. The likes button is not remotely the same as it is clicked for different reasons.

I've started a poll to see others feelings on this as I miss this polite button.

I also liked the "thanks" button, but some people chose not to use it, some didn't know about it, some would click "like" if a post was helpful instead... so its value as a metric for usefulness was diminished.

I'd click "thanks" if a post was useful, or if I learnt something. I'd click "like" if I agreed with summat, or it was funny.

But just one button makes it simpler. :) Having two buttons meaning different things is great if everyone uses them.... but a choice of two button was obviously too much for many ;)

I was proud of my "thanks to posts" ratio. ~shrug~

The like is the way to show your appreciation of a post.

I use it as an acknowledgement, if somebody has replied and helped me I click it. But also if it's funny I click it. Etc

Just click the bloody like pal.

If we have umpteen buttons in each post it becomes a tiresome job of affirming everybody etc

We're not here for that. Go give the dog a bone if you want cuddles.

Click like or don't. That's the future.

I did like the 'Thanks' button and it was great so see someone had picked it when you gave them useful advice. It was just a shame that not many people actually did this.
Should we have it back..... I'm going to do an OFSTED and sit on the fence with that one......

I did like the 'Thanks' button and it was great so see someone had picked it when you gave them useful advice. It was just a shame that not many people actually did this.
Should we have it back..... I'm going to do an OFSTED and sit on the fence with that one......

Thing is, I use it to complement people on giving good feedback and updating the forum on issues that OTHERS have given time to suggest what to do........

As Murdoch said - that's where it differs from the like button. The 'thanks' button used where advice actually makes a difference to how you do something and changes the way you think - truly appreciated. 'Like' because it makes you chuckle and if you were face to face they would recognise that you found that amusing, funny or hilarious and we've all had those moments on this excellent forum.
On an aside - I went into college today to take my NVQ for an audit assessment next week, anyhow the 4 guys sitting where I sat last year were introduced to the forum by me because it reflects how useful it has been to me and countless others in training.

I'll be the first to 'like' that one Dan or do I 'thank' you for it? I'll get my coat!

There are thanks buttons available, and I could have imported thanks too. I chose not to have it. It's clutter, and the fact we have a like button that does exactly the same thing, means it was really just something added at some point years ago on the old software for some random reason that I can't even remember. lol

just buy one of these keyboards, jobs a gooden

index_greenThanks.jpg

Last edited:
There are thanks buttons available, and I could have imported thanks too. I chose not to have it. It's clutter, and the fact we have a like button that does exactly the same thing, means it was really just something added at some point years ago on the old software for some random reason that I can't even remember. lol

I think at present 18 people voting is too little to form a decision. However, if more vote and it stays one sided towards the 'yes' vote would you be willing to listen to the members and maybe at least 'think' about reinstateing it Dan?

Nope.

Sometimes I do things for the greater good of the forum and go against the 100 or so members who want something.

We have 55,000 members, and over 800,000 hits a month.

We want smooth-flowing chat without loads of clutter.

Last edited:
It's your fault that I'm bumping this thread Dan. You and your big red button!

Its a public vote so you can see how anyone has voted just click on the word
vote(s) above the change your vote button and you will see who has voted for each option.

PS anyone who likes this answer please click the thanks button
Thanks for that.

Oh look, a way to thank!

Reply to Should There Be A "thanks"' Button. in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net