Discuss Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He also said that the 40 mcb for the cooker should be changed to a 32. As I understand it the principal of diversity could be applied so that could be ok but would a 40 mcb with a 6mm cable over a 7 or 8 metre run be dangerous clipped direct not in insulation?
It is just a standard cooker grill, oven and 4 rings.

My gut reaction is that this person is trying to create extra work for themselves by scaring the tenant.

Tell him to have a look in Appendix F of his on site guide and get back to you.

Is this guy definitely and electrician and not just an appliance installation guy from a electrical appliance retailer?

Is this guy definitely and electrician and not just an appliance installation guy from a electrical appliance retailer?
Definitely says he is an electrician, his web site says he does all types of work not just domestic, but industrial and commercial.
States part P and nicec approved.

Definitely says he is an electrician, his web site says he does all types of work not just domestic, but industrial and commercial.
States part P and niceic approved.

Well even on here, we have our disagreements. As we are not actually 'on site', why not seek an opinion of another electrician to go & have a looksee.

States part P and nicec approved.
#
in went to an approved school ( ee wicked pedia. ). do'nt make me competent to advise on electrical issues.

Ok, I have had some run ins with Currys installation guys before telling the customer something is unsafe when it is perfectly fine, wondered if that was the case here.

Giving they guy the benefit of the doubt.

I can only assume the cable run is concealed so he is assuming the cable is covered in thermal insulation and adjusting the current carrying capacity accordingly.

Why he would make that assumption and proceed to tell the tenant it is unsafe, whilst attending to connect a cooker, is another question in itself.

Either that or he isn't aware that CCC is dependant on the conditions in which the cable is run, and he should know better.

without thinking of 4 pages (soon to be 5) of consequences on a thread on an electrical forum. :)
I think its no secret that sparkies like to slag each other off ;), and this place exasperates that quite a bit I suppose. Its very easy for it to turn into a circle jerk when the guy in question is not here to defend himself.

Well there is no such thing as part P approved, so that is another thing he has got wrong.

Part P is a building regulation, that is all.

I here that a lot on here. So what is BS7671?

Reply to Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net