Discuss Shower Cable... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
Was speaking to someone today who said they were upgrading there shower to a 8.5kw but not changing the cable which is a 6mm. He said it's a run of about ten meteres going through floorboards and up to switch. Surely this must be borderline? personally I would use a 10mm2 but just thought I would see what you guys thought.

well anythin over 8.5 will need to be run in 10mm2 as you said, i would run it in the 10mm2 to cover my own end....

I think that only acceptible method of installation for a 6mm cable would be clipped direct protected by a 40 MCB.
Any other installation method would not give you a 40A rating needed for the overcurrent protective device.

Best way 2 cover yourself is by using calculations to prove it! Thats why we get taught the damn things.

As previously stated 6mm can take 47 amps clipped direct and with the price of copper rocketing I cant see why anybody would waste time and money running 10mm when not necessary.

Use the force brothers, use the maths!!

Aren't all circuits that supply bathrooms now required to be RCD protected ?

Absolutley should have mentioned backed up by 30mA rcd but my post was mainly aimed at the cable size required and the overcurrent rating of the protective device.

How many of you have seen a shower cable clipped direct?

The existing cable is bound to be buried in the wall and since the shower will draw a current of 37 Amps a cable upgrade is surely necessary, unless you hack the cable out to clip direct.

6mm will carry 47A under reference method C, which is both clipped direct AND/OR embedded in plaster. It will carry 41 under method B which is conduit or trunking either on surface or embedded.

An 8.5kW shower pulls 36.9A at nominal voltage. Round 'ere, voltage is usually closer to 240 which, in the real world, brings this figure down even further. The only place we are really going to have problems with this is when the cable is run through thermal insulation (meth A), which gives us only 34A, and decreases with similar methods (100, 101, 102, 103 etc).

For the record, if they are upgrading to an 8.5 on 6mm, and I can't see presence of insulation in the run, I will put the shower on this cable with a 40A breaker (and RCD of course), but if I was installing the shower from scratch, then I woud put in a 10mm.

This is my interpretaion, anyway, please let me know if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
6mm will carry 47A under reference method C, which is both clipped direct AND/OR embedded in plaster. It will carry 41 under method B which is conduit or trunking either on surface or embedded.

I'm certainly not questioning your knowledge Rocker, more prehaps the Regs, how can something embedded in plaster, carry more current than something in conduit. Surely a cable completely surrounded by plaster will cool down much slower than a cable in conduit with some air around it :confused:

Or am I missing the point entirely :rolleyes:

Cheers

I often think of this myself, but I guess if you think of your hand in a cool room, if you stick your hand out in front of you you may feel a draught, but not a great deal. If you then go and touch a wall, it will feel cold. The plaster is a better conductor of heat than the air, so it draws heat out of your hand more efficiently than the air does. If you then put a glove made from fiberglass insulation on your hand, apart from becoming itchy, your hand woud warm up, as it is nsulating your hand from both the air and the wall, and not allowing it to transfer any heat. Because your hand is generating heat, but the heat is not disspiating into a conductive surface, your hand hets hotter. It's the same with cable, I think so anyway.

I often think of this myself, but I guess if you think of your hand in a cool room, if you stick your hand out in front of you you may feel a draught, but not a great deal. If you then go and touch a wall, it will feel cold. The plaster is a better conductor of heat than the air, so it draws heat out of your hand more efficiently than the air does. If you then put a glove made from fiberglass insulation on your hand, apart from becoming itchy, your hand woud warm up, as it is nsulating your hand from both the air and the wall, and not allowing it to transfer any heat. Because your hand is generating heat, but the heat is not disspiating into a conductive surface, your hand hets hotter. It's the same with cable, I think so anyway.

Now that answer is what we all wanted if only everything else was explained so simply:D

That certainly makes sense, I guess I just always thought of plaster as an insulator, rather than a conductor. I'm sure those boffins at the IEE, or should I say IET, know what they're talking about :p

Cheers

An 8.5kW shower pulls 36.9A at nominal voltage. Round 'ere, voltage is usually closer to 240 which, in the real world, brings this figure down even further. The only place we are really going to have problems with this is when the cable is run through thermal insulation (meth A), which gives us only 34A, and decreases with similar methods (100, 101, 102, 103 etc).

For the record, if they are upgrading to an 8.5 on 6mm, and I can't see presence of insulation in the run, I will put the shower on this cable with a 40A breaker (and RCD of course), but if I was installing the shower from scratch, then I woud put in a 10mm.

This is my interpretaion, anyway, please let me know if I am wrong.

Are you using the correct table for your current carrying capacity. It seems to be from table 4D1A, which is for single core cable.
Not that it would have any effect on this circuit, but table 4D2A gives reference method C as 46A, method B as 38A and method A as 32A.

Thanks for the information as regards to reference method C, which is both clipped direct AND/OR embedded in plaster. I always thought that this meant clipped direct only.

I beg your pardon, you're spot on there was looking at OSG table 6D1 which is eqivilent to BRB 4D1A, should have been looking at 6E1 which, as you say, is the same as 4D2A. We are still OK on 6 mil with B and C though, and yea I've just noticed it only says 'Method C - Clipped direct' and doesn't metion embedded which is a bit misleading! But anyway, it wil be OK in plaster as it is meth C or in trunking Meth B.

Phew!

EDIT: ooooh spooky this is my 666th post!

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg your pardon, you're spot on there was looking at OSG table 6D1 which is eqivilent to BRB 4D1A, should have been looking at 6E1 which, as you say, is the same as 4D2A. We are still OK on 6 mil with B and C though, and yea I've just noticed it only says 'Method C - Clipped direct' and doesn't metion embedded which is a bit misleading! But anyway, it wil be OK in plaster as it is meth C or in trunking Meth B.

Phew!

EDIT: ooooh spooky this is my 666th post!

No worries.

BTW my first, middle and surname have all got 6 letters in them too!

Reply to Shower Cable... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock