Discuss Shower Consumer Unit Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have fitted my own shower and researched what Consumer unit and RCD's I needed and now I have fitted it all and wired it all up I just wanted to 100% confirm with people in the know such as you guys that I have done it right, I have included a pic so you can see what I have done and just to say the wire coming in from the bottom is from the main consumer unit going into the top of the new RCD.

Thanks

View attachment 39278

rcd.JPG

Hi Everyone

I have fitted my own shower and researched what Consumer unit and RCD's I needed and now I have fitted it all and wired it all up I just wanted to 100% confirm with people in the know such as you guys that I have done it right, I have included a pic so you can see what I have done and just to say the wire coming in from the bottom is from the main consumer unit going into the top of the new RCD.

Thanks

View attachment 39278

Please put some Earth sleeving on :eek:

as post#2. otherwise looks OK. but give all terminal screws another pinch. they usually settle .

Doesn't look too bad get some earth sleeving though this isn't the States! Also is the cable 10mm2 and how have you installed it?

How many kilowatts is the shower. That looks like 6mm² to me which means the fuse is over the current carrying capacity of the cable. Not good. You would have to check the earth continuity and the Insulation resistance as well as test the RCD and do an Earth Fault Loop Impedance test to confirm it is ok apart from the above.
And I am not sure the top would meet regs as there does not appear to be a gland, could be wrong but then I can't see it.

What is the installation method reference for the cable run ?
What kW rating is the shower ?
How is the distribution cable connected in the main consumer unit ?
Does the top of the enclosure comply with the required IP ratings ?
Why have you selected a C curve MCB ?
Will you be testing this alteration to make sure it is safe, if so how ?
Will you be reporting this work to building control, if so how?

How many kilowatts is the shower. That looks like 6mm² to me which means the fuse is over the current carrying capacity of the cable. Not good. You would have to check the earth continuity and the Insulation resistance as well as test the RCD and do an Earth Fault Loop Impedance test to confirm it is ok apart from the above.
And I am not sure the top would meet regs as there does not appear to be a gland, could be wrong but then I can't see it.
6mm is good for 47A if ref. method C.

Thinking it was probably reference method 101, and he may have a 10.5 kw shower?

Who knows? Unless the op has test kit nobody can say for sure what's going on ........

Hi guys the wire coming in from the top is 10mm and was already installed from the cupboard to the shower when I moved in, and the shower is a 8.5 kw. I was told 6mm cable would be fine for the rating of the shower and the consumer unit is a shower kit from screwfix with a 63a rcd & 40A mcb. the distribution cable is coming from a 32a mcb which I was thinking of changing and yes the top does have a gland just out of sight.

every step I have taken has been taken from advise from a friend which is why I am double checking with you now and nothing is connected which is why I didnt get round to putting sleeving on the earth as I have other bits to get as well as sleeving yet

Hi guys the wire coming in from the top is 10mm and was already installed from the cupboard to the shower when I moved in, and the shower is a 8.5 kw. I was told 6mm cable would be fine for the rating of the shower and the consumer unit is a shower kit from screwfix with a 63a rcd & 40A mcb. the distribution cable is coming from a 32a mcb which I was thinking of changing and yes the top does have a gland just out of sight.
I see two solid core cpcs, so they are 6mm2

Not sure if this has been mentioned above, but this is notifiable work. Did you open a case with building control before you started work?
Who is doing the testing and certification? If its you, do you have the relavent calibrated test equipment to carry out all of the necessary tests that enable you to complete an Installation Certificate?

I haven't opened a case with them no and a friend who is an electrician is doing the testing and certification for me once I have finished but he is on holiday atm so cannot help me at mo so i'm doing what I can on my own which is why I am asking for help atm

Reply to Shower Consumer Unit Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net