Discuss Shower Consumer Unit Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So some factual advise would be appreciated so I can do as much as I can correctly before he arrives back

then as long as your electrician is going to check it before energising, i see no problem.

I am always amazed at the number of DIY folk who have an electrician friend who is on holiday at the time that they decide to try some electrical work so they ask for advice on here. Perhaps it's just a massive coincidence. If you do have a friend who is an electrician please just wait until he/she is home.

Well with the money they earn its not a surprise they go on holiday so often hey !!! Now I'm looking for help not to be criticised over having a go myself

Three facts for you.

You don’t really know what you are doing and don’t have test gear. That is dangerous.

So some factual advise would be appreciated so I can do as much as I can correctly before he arrives back

This doesn't make sense to me. He is the electrician, and for an electrician this is a quick job. He would, I'm sure, be much happier doing the whole job himself. It may take him as long to check what you've done and rectify any errors than to do it himself. He should only be willing to put his name to his own work, or work that he has personally supervised.

On these type of threads the "Electrician" always seems to be on holiday:airplane::airplane::tearsofjoy:
The old "my friends an electrician" ploy!!

Well with the money they earn its not a surprise they go on holiday so often hey !!! Now I'm looking for help not to be criticised over having a go myself

Unfortunately the internet does not work like that. You don't have a right to demand just the comments you are expecting. This is a free and open platform.

The best advice here is to get your electrician friend to advise you as they will be signing the certificates. This should be no problem for you to wait for as you should not be energising this until it is proved safe by testing.

• Agree
Reactions: 123
The thing is @Shmeefly, how is the cable routed to the shower? Is it in stud wall with insulation? or underfloor in insulation or just tacked to the wall all the way to the shower? It is important. The cable is not 10mm² it is 6mm². Which may well be ok for a few reasons. You say in your first post you researched what you needed then later your electrician/friend advised you
every step I have taken has been taken from advise from a friend
researched what Consumer unit and RCD's I needed
Its those kinds of inconsistencies that raise questions about the posters mhmm?

The thing is @Shmeefly, how is the cable routed to the shower? Is it in stud wall with insulation? or underfloor in insulation or just tacked to the wall all the way to the shower? It is important. The cable is not 10mm² it is 6mm². Which may well be ok for a few reasons. You say in your first post you researched what you needed then later your electrician/friend advised you

Its those kinds of inconsistencies that raise questions about the posters mhmm?

Thankyou Vortigern you seem to be the 0nly one who is here to help,
The wire was already installed when I moved in so I'm unsure exactly how it is routed :-( It goes up one floor through the middle of the floors then drops into the bathroom out of the wall, as I said it was already here so just working with what was already installed. My friend is not by any means a close friend so I'm not expecting a massive amount of support to be honest apart from he said he would come and check it and certify it when he gets back

Well on the basis of the facts presented it would seem you may be safe to get in the shower. I would insist on you first though;) However I would just wait for it to be tested to be absolutely sure. So if I read it right, you have replaced a shower that was already there? It has been mentioned that you have a C type 40a MCB which can present problems for automatic disconnection of supply and may not switch off in time. Although at 40a you are in slightly different territory than the usual ring final circuit but never mind about that. I suggest in any event you change it for a B Type 40a MCB before anything else. It is more likely to be a safer bet.

I have just pressed the probes of my MFT on the terminals in that photograph.......and it's live!

(IR's good,though...);)
Is the RCD operating within the required spec too?

Well on the basis of the facts presented it would seem you may be safe to get in the shower. I would insist on you first though;) However I would just wait for it to be tested to be absolutely sure. So if I read it right, you have replaced a shower that was already there? It has been mentioned that you have a C type 40a MCB which can present problems for automatic disconnection of supply and may not switch off in time. Although at 40a you are in slightly different territory than the usual ring final circuit but never mind about that. I suggest in any event you change it for a B Type 40a MCB before anything else. It is more likely to be a safer bet.

No not replaced, the people who had the house before, started installing it then sold the house, and thanks again Vortigern I will replace with a B type tomorrow :) as well as do a continuity test :)

No not replaced new install, the people who had the house before, started installing it then sold the house, and thanks again Vortigern I will replace with a B type tomorrow :) as well as do a continuity test :)

@ leesparky kent. my mistake by using the word trainee as in police officer in my previous post.i meant to refer to a normal PC on ÂŁ37,000/year.

Reply to Shower Consumer Unit Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock