Discuss Shower EICR Code- 9.5kW- 40amp mcb!. De rate MCB to 32 or rewire cable to 10mm in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Trying for a C3? It's either one code or the other!
We do over a thousand tests for local authorities and we can return a C3 as satisfactory with an advisory to rewire the shower as opposed to a C2 failure
It makes a big difference if we send back satisfactory cert! By the way the NICEIC say the 32amp MCB is a C3

We do over a thousand tests for local authorities and we can return a C3 as satisfactory with an advisory to rewire the shower as opposed to a C2 failure
It makes a big difference if we send back satisfactory cert! By the way the NICEIC say the 32amp MCB is a C3

Ahh, sorry. I always thought that an EICR was a report on the condition of the installation, and the outcome is based solely on it's condition, not what we want the outcome to be.

I attend a rental that some bright person has put a 10kW on a 6mm with 32A mcb. I have advised, but to no avail. I had a close look at the cable (bit I can see), mcb and shower connections and all seems ok, probably more due to use than good design. Strangely they have not asked me for a report :rolleyes: .

I attend a rental that some bright person has put a 10kW on a 6mm with 32A mcb. I have advised, but to no avail. I had a close look at the cable (bit I can see), mcb and shower connections and all seems ok, probably more due to use than good design. Strangely they have not asked me for a report :rolleyes: .

Well it works, so what else matters? :(

I'm surprised the local authority are not being more causious with this as its a potential fire hazard

The problem here is the short time the shower operates for,
Years ago our company added lots of heaters to a ring main in a school, despite me protesting as the QS that it was non compliant, and should be on a dedicated ring or radial circuits, every winter the circuit would trip after about 6 hours , I calculated there was a load of 4 x 12 Amps = 48 amps plus other stuff on the ring yet took 6 hours to trip on a 32amp ring !

Reply to Shower EICR Code- 9.5kW- 40amp mcb!. De rate MCB to 32 or rewire cable to 10mm in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net