Discuss Shower in Summerhouse 40m From CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Womblej

Hi sorry if this is not the correct section.
i am after some advice I need to connect a shower in a summer house approx 40 mts away from the main house cu.
the shower I have is 8.5 kw but not on connected yet,what size cable do i need please

hI Womblej, welcome to the forum.

I've made your post into a thread of your own rather than it being appended to an existing thread.

i probably wont be the first to say get a qualified electrician in, if you are unsure of cable size then i imagine you are even more unsure of how to test the circuit to ensure it is safe.

Hi sorry if this is not the correct section.
i am after some advice I need to connect a shower in a summer house approx 40 mts away from the main house cu.
the shower I have is 8.5 kw but not on connected yet,what size cable do i need please
Where abouts in Wales are you?

as post #3. a job for a qualified sparks. DIY and get it wrong, it's not just the cost of the wasted wrong cable. loss of life and or a fire could be a result.

hang on. i'll ask dynamo, magician impossible.

I was thinking of putting a 16mm cable in and putting a inline water heater in
would that do the job?
Womblej the best advice anyone can give you has been given already. 40 meters is a hell of a run and there are a lot of factors to consider, voltage drop and current requirements of the unit to name just 2. Your idea may well be right but a local spark would be better placed to comment on that Maybe there's one of our members who could help you.

Womblej

There are a large number of factors which make it impossible to answer your request at a distance, these include the type of earthing arrangement on your supply, the type of water pipe supplying and the construction of your summerhouse, the route the cable will take, the capacity of your supply, the existing load on your supply. Once all those are known then an electrician will start to calculate the correct type and size of cable and the earthing arrangement and circuit protection that will be required. You can lower the cost by doing any digging or manual work required. In addition the summerhouse will be covered by part P of building regs and will require prior notification to Building control or for the work to be done by a self certifying electrician registered with one of the Part P schemes.

You will probably find it will be better to run a supply to the summer house, put a new CU there and start the shower installation from there. As stated above there are too many variables that would need professional assessment but my guess would be a bare minimum 10mm 3 core SWA probably 16mm.

Reply to Shower in Summerhouse 40m From CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net