Discuss Shower install problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I wire mobile decontamination units and we have a large unit that requires 4 electric showers.

Normally we use a standard metal 4way CU with rcd and mcb for each shower and its own 32A plugin inlet.

I would like to put all showers in the same board and have four 32A inlets coming from the board and each circuit separated inside.
It's possible all 4 inlets will be supplied by a onsite generator.
I can't seem to find any information on whether this is bad practice but also can not think of a reason why we can't do it.
The electrician who has just left the company said it was bad practice

Hi Lloyds and welcome to the Forum !
My thought is loading within the CU may be a concern. OSG suggests diversity for instant water heaters at 100% + 100% + 25% + 25% but in practice at work or for emergency use you might need to run the lot together for some time, i.e. no diversity allowance. And this will likely exceed the CU and RCD ratings if you use a standard domestic type CU. Just a thought :)

Each rcd is rated at 63A the board will have four 63A rcds and four 40A type B breakers.
CU board neutral block and earth Block will not by used and a direct conection from 32A inlet to rcd mcb then shower switch.
No main switch will be used in the board.
I thought these new schnider boards were rated to whatever size main switch was required.
Board will be running less than 120A

You will be creating an installation with four separate incoming supplies, with all four supplies coming in to the same enclosure without a single common main switch. add to this the fact that the generator will almost certainly be providing a three phase supply.
In my opinion this is far from ideal, and I would personally describe it as bad practice.
I think it would be far better to have it on a single incoming supply.
Your options for a single supply in my opinion are:
125A single phase inlet and hope that there will be that the generator will have enough other load on it to balance it.
Three phase inlet, probably 63A, and balance the load as much as possible.

I wire mobile decontamination units and we have a large unit that requires 4 electric showers.

Normally we use a standard metal 4way CU with rcd and mcb for each shower and its own 32A plugin inlet.

I would like to put all showers in the same board and have four 32A inlets coming from the board and each circuit separated inside.
It's possible all 4 inlets will be supplied by a onsite generator.
I can't seem to find any information on whether this is bad practice but also can not think of a reason why we can't do it.
The electrician who has just left the company said it was bad practice
I should think if it's a decontam unit then there wouldn't be any diversity' as it's a 100% emergency application, just a thought

It sounds very confusing, I think from what I can make out there will be four separate supplies within the same enclosure.

It sounds very confusing, I think from what I can make out there will be four separate supplies within the same enclosure.

Basically he's planning to have four inlet connectors on one mobile unit, so yes four separate supplies in to the one mobile unit. And yes also those four separate supplies, of unknown phase distribution will be in one enclosure with no single point of isolation or means of guaranteeing that one inlet connector can't become live from one of the others.

What could possibly be wrong with that?

If you are feeding the showers from 32A supplies, adding an MCB inside the trailer is unnecessary as the supplies should be protected by a 32A MCB at source. Although maybe it is a good idea to have one as an extra layer of protection when dealing with unknown supplies. An RCD would certainly be a good idea if you can't guarantee there is one on the other end of the supply.

It might be worth wiring the showers direct to the 32A inlets (via an isolator) and then looking at event style power distribution units to convert from the incoming supply if it is to be used in different locations with different sized supplies.

Thanks for the comments.

At the moment we are using a small 4 way db for each shower.
Problem is space the shower supply inlets are in quite a small cupboard located above the wheel arch.
The Customer request is 32A inlets and it is possible not all showers will be used at once but the option is available.
Our standard unit normally have 2 gas showers and 2 electric showers so space isn't an issue.
Suppose I will just go with the db for each shower route and struggle on.

Thanks for the help

Reply to Shower install problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock