Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Shower isolation swiching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Brummiesparky

Brummiesparky EF Member

Could any of you kind people clarify wether an isolator is required for an electric shower installation.
    The manufacturers drawing shows one and quotes b.s. 7671 but I can't find anything in the rest
    As a matter of fact I All ways fit one for safety reasons
    Thank you in advanced

2. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Yeah it requires a double pole isolator

3. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

No requirement in the wiring regs, but good practice and useful to have one in most cases.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Captain Black

Captain Black EF Member

Don't forget to IR the circuit before you install the switch. I usually IR from the board to where the switch is going to be then from the switch to the shower itself.

5. Captain Black

Captain Black EF Member

Well if the manufacturer recommends one be fitted, you'd be running foul of 134.1.1 and 5.10.3 if you didn't :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Why IR test before completing the installation? You’ll only have to do it again once the installation has been completed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Captain Black

Captain Black EF Member

I've always done it that way to avoid the neon in the switch messing with the results.

Maybe I'll get it in the neck but if the tests are OK, from board to switch, then from switch onwards to the shower itself then I'm happy. I prefer that to cross linking the L-N and then testing those two to E.

8. Gareth Brookes

Gareth Brookes Active EF Member

Business Name:
    Home
    Ir should be done with All accessories in place and screwed back surely you can do phase neutral to earth to avoid the neon

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

and where is this shower isolator going?

10. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I do ALWAYS fit one ..............

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    so do I. if i can be bothered. more important things on the go , such as some prince getting married to some yank bird who's father can't be arsed to come. AS IF. GGMS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

are talking about Charlie kfc bucket .I sell you a story .F88K I have heart attack coming on .pass my MAC over .

13. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Strangely, that's exactly what I was about to put.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. buzzlightyear

beat you to it .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Captain Black

Captain Black EF Member

At the end of the day, I feel that it's more important that the actual cabling is properly IR'd than the switch. I mean that's the whole point of the test surely?
    Also, whilst L-N to CPC might be acceptable on an EICR (with an agreed limitation) it's not something I'd be happy with on initial verification.
    At least doing it my way, you're going to be 100% sure the circuit hasn't been damaged during installation, and what are the chances you'll bugger it up just by adding the switch back in?
    Answers on a postcard...

• Like Like x 1