Discuss Shower isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

But you could let common sense override it? After all they are not Statutory, surely you are at liberty to use your experience to make recommendations? The way I see it, you are not going to get into any trouble are you? A C3 is part of a satisfactory report. I suppose you could always attach a separate written note? In such circumstances I would feel obligated to draw it to the customers attention.

A note with no code would be the furthest i would go.

I use the logic that the EICR is a technical report as to the safety of an installation based on BS7671. If it is compliant with BS7671 in all ways it cannot warrant a code.
If I put a code based on my opinion against something that is compliant with BS7671 , the report ceases to be based on BS7671 and becomes open to abuse.

Isnt there a reg that states instantaneous water heater, immersions ect had to have 2 pole isolation or was that just for TT.? If no1 would install it this way then there should be a reg no against it or whats stopping people wiring to showers , cookers, imersion heaters, ground source pumps, ect ..straight from cu.?
A note with no code would be the furthest i would go.

I use the logic that the EICR is a technical report as to the safety of an installation based on BS7671. If it is compliant with BS7671 in all ways it cannot warrant a code.
If I put a code based on my opinion against something that is compliant with BS7671 , the report ceases to be based on BS7671 and becomes open to abuse.
Good point. Personally, I have not come across this scenario. As you say, there is no actual contravention. Also, as Westie says, no other Spark reading it is going to get in a stew. At the end of the day the report will be Satisfactory so the Landlords and agents won't look any further. Maybe a written recommendation, attached to the report would be the best way to do it as you say.

As others have said if its BS7671 compliant then you can't issue a code, even a C3.
I'd probably verbally suggest an isolator and email that as well as a recommendation but not include it in the EICR

Not sure what you guys want me to add. I've said what I will probably do in post #10. Didn't quite manage to complete all tests yesterday so have to return one day next week, which gives me time to ponder some more!

Will probably include it in the observations but without a code. That way I've mentioned it but it won't affect the satisfactory/unstaisfactory conclusion.

Could extent this discussion further by the fact that the installation only has RCD protection on 1 circuit - on the shower which appears to have been added after the refurb was completed about 20 years ago. Flat is on the first floor. Discuss!

Not sure what you guys want me to add. I've said what I will probably do in post #10. Didn't quite manage to complete all tests yesterday so have to return one day next week, which gives me time to ponder some more!

Will probably include it in the observations but without a code. That way I've mentioned it but it won't affect the satisfactory/unstaisfactory conclusion.

Could extent this discussion further by the fact that the installation only has RCD protection on 1 circuit - on the shower which appears to have been added after the refurb was completed about 20 years ago. Flat is on the first floor. Discuss!
Yellow, you are the guy on the job, if you feel to put a code 3 in, that is absolutely fine, it is only a recommendation, still satisfactory on the report. That would be my take only because that is my opinion, because I like local isolation.It will be up to the client at the end of the day.

Why do we need to discuss it? Your doing the EICR? You challenged me that I was doubting your professional ability.

Why do we need to discuss it? Your doing the EICR? You challenged me that I was doubting your professional ability.

I just thought I'd let you guys mull that over! I'm sure there will be different opionions out there!

Ok, I'll start with my take. Plenty of C3's, lack of RCD protection on bathroom circuits (light + heater), no RCD protection for concealed cables, no RCD protection on sockets. The only possible C2 could be lack of supplementary bonding between shower/heater/lights in bathroom, but since the consumer unit is in the adjacent airing cupboard I suspect resistance between circuit earths will be OK, but will check!

You mean, you want the forum in general to instruct you as to how to do your job? You are undertaking an EICR, it's a tricky old number requiring quite a lot of things, experience, qualifications and so on. Have you got any?

You mean, you want the forum in general to instruct you as to how to do your job? You are undertaking an EICR, it's a tricky old number requiring quite a lot of things, experience, qualifications and so on. Have you got any?
I don't want the forum to instruct me in anything I've just told you want I'm going to do, but I know others will disagree and thats their perogative.

As for experience and qualifications I probably have more than you!

I'm now leaving this thread with no further input!

I don't want the forum to instruct me in anything I've just told you want I'm going to do, but I know others will disagree and thats their perogative.

As for experience and qualifications I probably have more than you!

I'm now leaving this thread with no further input!
Oh dear well that's an awful shame. It just seemed to me that every time you get a bit of a problem you come on here and ask how others would tackle it, not the sort of form for one which such an impressive pedigree? Maybe it's just me....

Oh dear well that's an awful shame. It just seemed to me that every time you get a bit of a problem you come on here and ask how others would tackle it, not the sort of form for one which such an impressive pedigree? Maybe it's just me....
I don't think there is any need Sparks to rip into the guy, we all here to share our experiences and OPINIONS. Listen to uncle Dave.

@yellowvanman and @sparksburnout , not sure what the beef is with you guy's if there even is one but lets keep it professional and out of the thread.
Cheers.

as for me, i've had enough of bloody showers. rain all week, getting soaked just getting gear off van, bugger it. time for beer.

Reply to Shower isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock