Discuss Shower isolators - Do we need them or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Searched the regs and internet and I cant find a definitive answer on whether they are needed to not. Found a few posts on here from a couple of years ago but there are a lot of mixed opinions.

I’ve got mixed views, always installed them but I don’t think they are very nessacary. Most of the time they break because the consumer uses them as a functional switch rather than a point of isolation.

Do we need them or can the MCB be used as isolation for maintenance and cleaning?

Thanks Dan

Most manufacturers insist on them...but I think they break because in general they are poorly made, and also quite poorly fitted.

If fitting a Pullcord it's got to be either Crabtree 50A (Round) Click 50A (Round) or Click 50A (Square).

The problem is now that showers are becoming so ridiculously powerful that the domestic range of isolation become weak links due to their size and the inability to effectively connect the size of cable required to power them. Soon we will be seeing Glasgow isolators on the landing.

Most manufacturers insist on them...but I think they break because in general they are poorly made, and also quite poorly fitted.
The cannot insist on them. They can suggest them in their instructions. But manufacturers instructions are guidance only and don't have to be followed especially when they are wrong, (which is not unusual).

The cannot insist on them. They can suggest them in their instructions. But manufacturers instructions are guidance only and don't have to be followed especially when they are wrong, (which is not unusual).

So the regs state manufacturers instructions should be taken into account... how would you explain your decision not to fit a local isolator if the instructions explicitly state you should install one?

Even if it comes that a switch is not required, there will be absolutely, no chance what so ever of me clambering about in my roof space to pull the 10mm2 back and reconnect it directly into the shower, not ever.

Reply to Shower isolators - Do we need them or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net