Discuss Shower Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know it's the loose neutral which has caused the issue that I responded to.

What I'm referring to the forum is how much it actually needs to be changed. And how much of an issue would be caused by leaving it.

Peronally I would be replacing the isolator and keeping the cable as it is BUT when the Gaffer tells you to go back and change the cable then that's what you do!!

REMEMBER; the gaffer may not always be right, but he is ALWAYS the gaffer!!

Just nod, smile and do what he says no matter how stupid it is as long as it isn't dangerous, ;)

Just to reiterate, it wasn't me who installed the cable, much as I despise working with it, I always use 10mm, this was a job I went to.

Was told to change it by my team leader yesterday, spoke to our QS and my boss this morning and explained the situation, and they agreed that it didn't need changing. Just went and checked everything again today, filled out a minor works cert for the replacement of the isolator and explained the situation to the tenants.

The first spark that went didn't even check anything, just looked at the shower rating, cable size, and condemned it to the tenant. Just left the cable to burn.

I would say it might not be a loose neutral connection. The other possibility is the pull cord itself is at fault. I have replaced 4 GET 45amp pullcords in this last week. All looked identical to that in the picture. I do a lot of maintenance for an estate agent and the most of the calls I get are showers and 9/10 its the pullcord. Try a different make as well as insuring all terminations are tight.

what brand do you use? we tend to use 45amp crabtree pullcords.

the only problem we have had is from time to time it doesnt always click properly but a quick swap and crises averted

If your going to change the isolator, then change it for a Crabtree, they are about the best pull switches on the market and are rated at 50A not 45A....

Reply to Shower Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net