Discuss Shower Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paul_K

Hi guys, I'm new here so go easy! :-/

Need some advice on a shower that keeps tripping the breaker!

I have a 9.5kw shower running on 230v supply with a type B 32amp breaker. I've taken a measurement using a clamp (Fluke i410) from the wire at the consumer unit and it's measuring about 36amps and not the 41.3 as the calculation would expect. This problem appears to be too much current?

My question is this:
Can I safely put a higher rated breaker in, say 40amp, using the existing wire? I think it may be 6mm, but not entirely sure.

Much appreciated,

Paul.

if the cable is 6mm and clipped direct, then a 40A MCB would be suitable. this assumes that no part of the cable is covered by insulation.

my guess is this is a shower upgrade done on the cheap and on 6mm cable protected by 32A breaker and i would hazard a guess you need to upgrade cable to 10mm and breaker to 40A no way would i ever run a 40A on 6mm but that's me.

Hi all,

To be honest I don't know if it's 'clipped direct' or not, or what the installation method used is!! We've only been in the house just over a year and this has been a recurring issue since moving in with this shower. It normally only trips if you're in it longer than say 10 mins... :-/

Steve, I can't attach links yet as I'm just newly registered on the forum. Apparently I need to post 6 comments first!

Where about are you? Someone one here may be able to drop in and offer specific advice, and if appropriate change the breaker. Is the breaker covered by an RCD?

Regards.

Everyone who comments on this thread is hazarding a guess as the OP has not give the full info needed
That may be true.

However, the quote also contained "no way would i ever run a 40A on 6mm but that's me".

There seem to have been several posts lately where 'electricians' do not trust the regulations and install cables which are larger than necessary 'just in case'.

If it complies, it complies.

We've only been in the house a little over a year. The shower occasionally trips, and has done since we moved in! We were never given any test documentation when we moved in at all. It was only last night I decided to see what current was going through the cable, and using a Fluke i410 clamp, realised it was around 36amps on a 32amp breaker! This is why I was asking if the cable could take a 40amp breaker without risking a fire..

It appears there's other factors involved that I wasn't too sure about that I can't really give answers to, such as cable length and installation method etc.. It looks like I'll just have to get someone to look at it. :-/

'electricians' do not trust the regulations

To Right, although the vast majority has merit, some of it is made up by men in suits with nothing to do except to look busy so they don't get the boot by the IEE haha, I'm not suggesting this thread has anything to do with my comments, but in general I would think most decent sparks can use the regs and on occasion think about professional standards and not the minimum the regs suggest LMAO.

Geoffsd if your happy doing it your way then leave me to do it my way i did state that is just me but i err on the side of caution not on the side of if it fits use it and i know which i would rather have in my own house thanks !!!!

Reply to Shower Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net