Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Shower RCD enclosure options in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. gazdkw82

gazdkw82 Trainee Trainee Access

Need to add an RCD to a shower installation. No options to add in the consumer unit so I'm going to add RCD via an enclosure but I'm struggling to find a nice small enclosure that is of a brand Iv actually heard. Most of them are chint, Europa and other brands....Wylex do a small 3 way ip65 enclosure but comments suggest it's very small inside and I fear terminating 10mm in and out will be a world of pain

2. essex

essex Electrician's Arms

Are you going to install this in the shower room?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gazdkw82

No, be next to existing CU

4. essex

essex Electrician's Arms

Why an IP65 one?

5. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Trusted Advisor

Sorry if you have already considered this, but can you not get an RCBO to replace the MCB in the existing consumer unit?

If that's not an option and you are adding an RCD in an enclosure next to it, I wouldn't worry at all what make the enclosure is, get what makes the best job but just make sure the RCD unit is a quality brand.

6. gazdkw82

Sorry should have said, the CU is based in what looks like an old house. There's a chance of condensation/moisture

7. gazdkw82

Unfortunately not. It's an old rewireable CU. Shower is fed from henly blocks into a stand alone fused enclosure with a 30A bs3036

8. TJ Anderson

In that case replace that whole unit with a shower consumer unit. It will come populated with an RCD main Switch and an MCB. What rating is the Electric Shower?

9. TJ Anderson

10. gazdkw82

That's the plan, however like I've said, I'm struggling to find a shower RCD enclosure that is made by a brand I actually know

11. gazdkw82

Shower is 8.5kw (37A)

12. TJ Anderson

The link I have posted above is a Wylex unit. That will replace the existing standalone 3036 overcurrent & short circuit protection with a new unit incorporating an MCB and also add 30ma RCD protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gazdkw82

True. But it offers little protection from a cold damp environment

14. TJ Anderson

You could go for a 40A MCB then. Check the Zs first though, as you will be making changes to the circuit protection.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TJ Anderson

A cold and damp house does not mean it needs an IP rated DB. This proposed add on is going next to a 3036 rewirable fuseboard right?
    The shower may be the least of their worries.....the place sounds inhabitable lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1