Discuss Shower timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Smithiesmith

I've been asked to install 2 electric showers. That's the easy bit. The client has asked me if I can install a timer so they will only run for a maximum 10 minutes. Is this possible? The reason is to stop the kids spending hours in the shower and save on energy.

Could be quite sophisticated if you not familiar with these components. And expensive.

Lot cheaper to put a token meter inline. Set it to run say 2kW per token which is 12 minutes on a 10kW shower. Then ration the tokens.

If that isn`t acceptable A relay could be powered via an electronic or pneumatic timer light switch outside the bathroom. A pneumatic one is likely to get matchsticks stuck in it though. So electronic timer fed from lighting circuit(or fused down from shower circuit direct from DB) operating the relay, LNE from db to relay, LNE from relay to shower.

Simples

Last edited:
Dont forget lots of showers dont like being turned off at source, and should be switched using the switch on the front of the shower!

You could fit a 2 pole contactor at the fuse board breaking the supply going to the shower , then run a separately fused coil control circuit to a columbus switch outside the shower room, this would give you a time from 10s to 10 mins depending on how you set up the switch.
You would still need the 45a DP switch for isolating purposes.

Hmmm sad times when kids won't do as they're told and measures like this are necessary. Wouldn't have happened when I were a lad!

Hmmm sad times when kids won't do as they're told and measures like this are necessary. Wouldn't have happened when I were a lad!

Was just gonna post...... Having read all the above methods I would favour having a reasonable word with the kids, and them having the respect to listen to and take on board your request.

Dont forget lots of showers dont like being turned off at source, and should be switched using the switch on the front of the shower!

Never heard that before, care to further enlighten me!

Re OP, where are you going to locate this timer and how are you going to reset it?
Can imagine kids, covered in wet soap froth, wandering around trying to mess with electrics to get the showers going again.
Seems like a daft idea to me. Fit low power showers instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Andy78 says. Then if you get one that wont listen to you then give them 5 minute warning and then switch off the shower at the CU.
Trying to use timers is going to be hassle as you will need two timers. 1 for how long then shower is on for and 1 for how long the shower should be off for. If you just have 1 timer, (say controlled by the light switch) then what is to stop them getting out of the shower when the timer trips and just switching the light off then on again to get the shower working again.

Disconnect the element connections in the shower. Cold showers are character forming and don't cost much.

How true, the growl of my dads voice and I was out and dried in 2 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

How true, the growl of my dads voice and I was out and dried in 2 minutes.

Never heard that before, care to further enlighten me!

Re OP, where are you going to locate this timer and how are you going to reset it?
Can imagine kids, covered in wet soap froth, wandering around trying to mess with electrics to get the showers going again.
Seems like a daft idea to me. Fit low power showers instead.

Well some showers run on after you switch them off to cool them down, so switching shower off from the mains I would think wouldn't do them any good

Reply to Shower timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock