Discuss SHOWER TRIPS RCD ITS NOT CONNECTED TO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

OK..did a cu change yesterday .. old wylex with an external rcd for a new amd3 dual rcd cu.

This morning the customer rings to say the shower has tripped the rcd.
Turn up on site..and the rcd that has tripped is not the one that the shower circuit is on.!
So i check for crossed over neutrals .. none.
i check with 500v IR test for connections between circuits between each rcd..none.

So.. the rcd only trips if the shower is running .. so i remove 1 element to check its not breaking down...all ok.

swap the elements ..all ok..

But any time both elements work together the rcd trips.

Put a clamp meter on the shower earth .. leakage just 8mA.

Ok ..im a bit stumped now...of course some interaction is going on between the 2 rcd's circuits .. but i cant measure any connection between them.

The install is in an old farm house 4 other dwellings around it all with TT systems including the 1 im working on.

Local supply transformer is in the field right next to the job .

All and any idea's please .

Many thanks in advance.

Vito

Hi all

OK..did a cu change yesterday .. old wylex with an external rcd for a new amd3 dual rcd cu.

This morning the customer rings to say the shower has tripped the rcd.
Turn up on site..and the rcd that has tripped is not the one that the shower circuit is on.!
So i check for crossed over neutrals .. none.
i check with 500v IR test for connections between circuits between each rcd..none.

So.. the rcd only trips if the shower is running .. so i remove 1 element to check its not breaking down...all ok.

swap the elements ..all ok..

But any time both elements work together the rcd trips.

Put a clamp meter on the shower earth .. leakage just 8mA.

Ok ..im a bit stumped now...of course some interaction is going on between the 2 rcd's circuits .. but i cant measure any connection between them.

The install is in an old farm house 4 other dwellings around it all with TT systems including the 1 im working on.

Local supply transformer is in the field right next to the job .

All and any idea's please .

Many thanks in advance.

Vito
2nd Paragraph last two lines, what exactly do you mean by that statement? Agree with Strima could be loose N connection.

Are the white appliances (dishwasher, tumble dryer, washing machine, microwave) or electric hob (is it an induction hob?) - supplied by the RCD which trips?

Could you measure the L-E, N-E and L-N voltages at the CU main switch with the shower off and then on (all mcbs apart from shower one off) and let us know them? Shower on full flow and high heat so elements remain on.

Last edited:
Another possibility, curtsey of @Richard Burns
SHOWER TRIPS RCD ITS NOT CONNECTED TO {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Neutrals in the cu .. all of them...are good.

Accumulated leakage ... wrong rcd for this.!

Cooker and kitchen ring circuit with all appliances is on the rcd that's tripping .. but that's not the one with the shower on it.
No induction hob..

Global IR test .. well the lowest IR for any of the circuit's is 60 meg ohms .. ..but the shower circuit is 999meg ohms.

Midwest... Yeh .. I've had this before ... but so far none of the circuit's on the tripping rcd side seems to have a significant neutral earth fault.

But so far I think this will be my next point of investigation. ..if only because I can't think of another.

Marcoi .. I could .. but what are you getting at with this..?

Thanks again for the input guys

Vito

Had exactly the same once turned out tncs system loose n in metre witch had recently been changed dam metre monkeys witch in turn under high load shower ect the high resistance made earth lower potential than n return try clamp metre on gas and water while shower is on or voltage indicator

This is a classic symptom of an N-E fault on one of the circuits on the RCD that trips. The shower trips it because it is the heaviest load on the installation, that creates the greatest drop in the neutral, driving the most current through the fault. But the fault could be on any appliance plugged into the circuits on the tripping RCD, not necessarily on the circuit itself.

What I would do is get into a situation where the RCD trips, then immediately isolate the supply and check with an ohmmeter the global resistance N-E with everything still plugged in and switched on. If you get any kind of a low reading, start tracing before anything changes.

Marcoi .. I could .. but what are you getting at with this..?

Vito
Measuring the voltage off load and on load would highlight a high resistance connection in the supply. You would ideally have no voltage drop, in practice the voltage may drop a couple of volts with a heavy load but if there is an unexpected resistance in the supply say from a contaminated loose connection then the voltage drop could be significant.

Appliance and Washing Machine Filters - EMI Filters - https://www.astrodynetdi.com/emi-filters/appliance-and-washing-machine

I concur it could be an undiscovered N-E fault. If the fault is not so simple, albeit may be difficult to locate, I was thinking about what happens when the shower turns on(off) and interactions with the EMI filters of white goods and induction hobs. The voltage measurements where to find out what Richard Burns said and also to see if the changes in potential of the mains L and N with respect to the local earth electrode where similar or different in sign and magnitude to gauge the ratio of volt-drop along the L path and the N path. And then how the EMI filters might respond.

Take a gander at the reference and study the electrical schematics of a few of the EMI filters. Then consider these filters connected in an installation with TT earthing and ponder changes in potentials of and currents in L and in N - for the RCD which trips - as a result of mains voltage transients and dips caused by the shower being turned on(or off) and the earth leakage currents (standing and transient) through the earth electrode. What sets the potential of the earth electrode with respect to the transformer earth electrode? What effect will a change in potential of the local earth electrode have?

Something along these lines is what went through my mind when I posted earlier. It'd be useful to know the earth electrode resistance.

Reply to SHOWER TRIPS RCD ITS NOT CONNECTED TO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock