Discuss shower wired in swa? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mike Blair

Alright guys got a phone call of a friend asking me to do a shower...but the client doesn't want conduit or the walls to be chased out. The ferm and the client agreed with a swa from the db clipped outside into the loft then into isolator and shower.... Is this even ok?? ignore the fact its gona be ugly as .... what do you guys think?

It won't be ugly if you take a bit of pride in the job and do it properly.
As long as you have a sensible plan to gland the SWA at the isolator then I can't see what's wrong with it, what is your concern?
But why SWA?

They seem to have a very limited imagination ..MICC the best way very discreet, neat and easier for termination options into the pull switch.

They seem to have a very limited imagination ..MICC the best way very discreet, neat and easier for termination options into the pull switch.

And 6mm will probably suffice, which if I remember correctly only needs a 32mm gland, that'll go into the single Pattress easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
what are your thoughts about sy cable?

It's a reasonable cable for it's intended purpose as a screened control cable.
It tends to grow green stuff under the clear sheath if left outside for a while, then the sheath crumbles away when it's had a couple of summers of sunshine on it.

And 6mm will probably suffice, which if I remember correctly only needs a 32mm gland, that'll go into the single Pattress easy!

4mm is about 50amp rated clipped direct so won't be far of and probably 20mm gland for a 2core (don't quote me on that, its been a while).

4mm is about 50amp rated clipped direct so won't be far of and probably 20mm gland for a 2core (don't quote me on that, its been a while).

Yes, 2H4 is a 20mm gland, I was working on one a couple if weeks ago. And thinking about it 2H6 is a 25mm gland. It's 4H6 which is a 32mm gland I think

I guess there are not any airing cupboards around for you to clip Twin and cpc up into the roof space?

once connected a shower for a customer who'd installed 6mm T/E up the outside of his house. this was 25 years ago, and it's still almost as good as when it was installed. so what happened to UV degradation?

once connected a shower for a customer who'd installed 6mm T/E up the outside of his house. this was 25 years ago, and it's still almost as good as when it was installed. so what happened to UV degradation?

Is it on the north side of the house... T&E (depending on manufacturer) usually degrades quickly in direct sunlight, I have seen it whiten and crack cables south facing within a few years.. again depends on manufacturer but its not a UV tolerant cable so shouldn't be used unless stated so by the manufacturer.

Just come off the light it will save you loads of time!

Why not 10mm in some sort of conduit might look aesthetically pleasing then.

Is it on the north side of the house... T&E (depending on manufacturer) usually degrades quickly in direct sunlight, I have seen it whiten and crack cables south facing within a few years.. again depends on manufacturer but its not a UV tolerant cable so shouldn't be used unless stated so by the manufacturer.

I have literally seen thousands of t+e exposed around here, caravan sites are quite common places for exposed t+e and yes the sheath has faded a tiny bit but still IR's like 400-500 ... it must be cheap import cable you've seen. I don't use t+e for outdoor application personally but i've seen literally tons of it, and quite a lot which has been standing exposed for 15+ years and never witnessed anything major.

I have literally seen thousands of t+e exposed around here, caravan sites are quite common places for exposed t+e and yes the sheath has faded a tiny bit but still IR's like 400-500 ... it must be cheap import cable you've seen. I don't use t+e for outdoor application personally but i've seen literally tons of it, and quite a lot which has been standing exposed for 15+ years and never witnessed anything major.

A good IR test isn't the be all and end all of it! The faded sheath can be a sign that the sheath and insulation have become brittle. This won't show up on an IR test but will notice if the cable gets moved for any reason.

If the cable has whitened it's a sign of deteriation of the integrity of the cable and the sheath no longer performs as designed ..as above this won't be picked up on an IR test unless it's progression has affected the insulation on the cores.

Reply to shower wired in swa? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock