Discuss Shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cj24

Hi, I have just been to look at a mates shower because he said shower kept cutting out and the pull cord was hot, I opened it up to find the live and neutral were melted together, I also looked at the fuse because it has now blown but it was a 30amp BS1361 Wylex fuse, surely this should be 40amp as it's a 9.5kw shower, does it matter if I put a 40amp fuse in bearing in mind the fuse carrier says 30amp on the side, this is obv just the casing but will obv be wrongly identied

not nesseserily the 1361 has quite a high breaking capacity and i think you may find that although the shower is rated at 9.5 kw its not drawing that much current i would replace the carrier to an MCB think you can in this type of board if not recomend you install an RCD board for the shower circuit

Check out the circuit, size of cable etc as it may need to be rewired. It may have started life as a 7KW shower and the unit been changed by some DIYer

Yeah I think it's a 6mm cable I was looking in a rush but am going back tomoz, the cable is going to have to be changed to 10mm due to it being 9.5kw, but do you think I should change the bs1361 fuse to a 40amp

Am I ok just using a 40amp fuse then twin to double pole switch then shower rather then an rcd at board as it is extremely old board

If you changing cable, isolator and fuse, that in my mind is a completely new circuit.

You will need to comply with regulation eg RCD etc, notify etc.

I am concerned at some of your DANGEROUS suggestions, I think you need to get an electrician to do this as you seem to have little knowledge/experience and water and electricity are not a good mix.

I am fully aware of and rcd or separate shower unit, but I am just wanting to know that I am best telling them to put on a 40amp, I'm not actually doin the job for him, he can't afford it, but surely 40 is better then 30amp

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

If its got a 30A fuse it has it for a reason.

To start upgrading fuses on an already damaged/compramised circuitt is asking for trouble.

Start from scratch.
If possible, mount a dedicated shower RCD unit (you can buy these from any good wholesaler), connect your cable ( after you have assesed all factors and calcs and chosen correct size cable ), into your shower isolator, then into the shower.
From your RCD unit, if possible tail out into Henly blocks, so that way you wont touch the old board.
Dont forget to issue an installation cert once completed.
Good luck,
Sav

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

If its got a 30A fuse it has it for a reason.

To start upgrading fuses on an already damaged/compramised circuitt is asking for trouble.

Why can't he just put a rewireable fuse in and use a rusty nail in the middle if it??



The nail is better than a 40A though!

The other option is just to loosley wrap some 30A fuse wire several times around the pins.....Give it a good shuv and it fits!

I am fully aware of and rcd or separate shower unit, but I am just wanting to know that I am best telling them to put on a 40amp, I'm not actually doin the job for him, he can't afford it, but surely 40 is better then 30amp

Are you on a wind up?

If you are not doing the job, the BEST thing you can advise as a MATE is to get another electrician in if you cant do it!!!

Basically, if u put a 40a mcb on a 6mm cable then ya cable will melt before ya fuse

I advise u call a sparks in to do it for ya

Hi, I have just been to look at a mates shower because he said shower kept cutting out and the pull cord was hot, I opened it up to find the live and neutral were melted together, I also looked at the fuse because it has now blown but it was a 30amp BS1361 Wylex fuse, surely this should be 40amp as it's a 9.5kw shower, does it matter if I put a 40amp fuse in bearing in mind the fuse carrier says 30amp on the side, this is obv just the casing but will obv be wrongly identied

I have to ask; are you an electrician??

Reply to Shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net