Discuss Showers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am still a trainee electrician working for a commercial firm, been in industry for 2 years, have level 2 & 3, recently passed 17th, and I am 2/3 of the way through my NVQ.

I have a lack of domestic experience and always come here for advice.

I jhave recently turned down 2 jobs for replacing showers as the pipe work needed altering. I don't really no were to begin with plumbing.

What do you guys do? Do you alter the pipe work yourselves, if so any tips and what tools do you need.

Thanks

Craig

Plumbing is easy ish, make sure you have the right fittings, buy a decent pipe cutter, and a decent blow torch, if you dont feel that confident, then buy a decent pipe slice and copper pushfit fittings from screwfix, just remember that any new instalations in pipe, just as with electrickery has to have a method of isolation, so dont forget fit a ball type isolation valve in a acessable place have a go, you wont kill anyone at the very worst you will get wet feet, just dont do what a householder did and called me to rectify, cut into a 15mm pipe and connect washing machine, only problem was that the washing machine refused to work. the clue to the potential problem was when i opened the door to the washing machine and was met by a funny smell of nothing other than GAS

cut into a 15mm pipe and connect washing machine, only problem was that the washing machine refused to work. the clue to the potential problem was when i opened the door to the washing machine and was met by a funny smell of nothing other than GAS

Seriously.....how lucky were you, and the street you were working in!

Bloody funny made me laugh reading this.Did a replacement shower today without to much hassle including the plumbing .Had to change entry into shower 1 x brass elbow and 80mm length of 15mm copper and some sealant.
I have changed about 4 so far and every one has had terminal burning at the shower connector,insulation melted fused to choc block.The one today had a dodgy 2 pole isolater so i thought i would replace that ,once removed yet again all the insulation on phase had melted and was close to touching the cpc.Put a new piece of cable in just in case.I put a 40 amp RCBO unit in the cupboard under the stairs and smelt gas !!.Corgi bloke going in tomorrow.The original shower was 10mm twin and earth joined to a old rewireable fuse in a 15 amp holder ! cpc looked like 4mm so had a nice new bit of 16mm fitted now.Checked everything else out ok but found a metal clad 13amp socket in the loft which was being used a connector block.30 amp choc block inside and loads of black tape all over the back of the socket ,no grommets.
Client said you could tell when the shower went on the lights used to dim !

Then trod on a small nail and swore me head off.

Plumbing no problem,top tip always were shoes,they had just had a new hall carpet fitted and i did not want me size 11 making a mess.

In all took me about 3 1/2 hours ,what the going rate ? parts were about £47.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Showers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net