Discuss Showers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Markd7208

Hi,
have been asked to do a conversion of a house to a B and B by a builder and am concerned on the showers,
the main cut out is 100a,they already have 2 x 9.5kw (10mm t and e )showers on 63a rcd isolators and 1 x 8.5kw (6mm t and e ) shower on 40a mk mcb and want another 9.5kw fitted !!!!
Personally I think they are pushing it with the three and have no hope of a 4th,I would welcome your opinions
Thank You
mark

Yeah, they're pushing their luck but I tend not to look at overload as an electrical fault as such, the installation is protected if it's designed according to the regs.

Upgrade RCD main isolator to 100a. Chances are they arnt all going to get used at the same time. Maybe try and split the loadings?

What do you mean by split the loadings? I think the concern is with the overall installation being able to handle that amount?
Split load board, if for a reason an RCD needs to operate, at least the second side is still live.
Half the showers one side, half t'other.
Or rcbo them.

Split load board, if for a reason an RCD needs to operate, at least the second side is still live.
Half the showers one side, half t'other.
Or rcbo them.
I think the OP's concern is the overall loading of the installation. OP hasn't mentioned other electrical factors that may be in the equation also i.e cookers, heating etc.

The thought also occurred to me they'd be much better off with a large immersion heater.

I fit priority units when it is two showers installed in a home. Garo Priority Shower Board (Choose Priority)| MeteorElectrical.com . Not suitable for this though and in this case surely they need to get the plumber to design a system utilising stored hot water.
Never knew such a product existed. Could not the OP use 2 of those units? Therefore only 2 showers in use at any given time. I personally would go for power showers / stored hot water (gas). Cost will decide

I wouldn't advise priority units in B&B. Imagine you were unfortunate enough to stay at said B&B, wanted a shower and couldn't have one. That would be one for Trip Advisor. Either they should pay for a proper set up or not run a B&B.

I wouldn't advise priority units in B&B. Imagine you were unfortunate enough to stay at said B&B, wanted a shower and couldn't have one. That would be one for Trip Advisor. Either they should pay for a proper set up or not run a B&B.
i suppose its like everything else..you get started in business then add a bit, the add a bit more and then electrically you get to breaking point. More than likely to now cost a small fortune to re-think the shower system through.

i suppose its like everything else..you get started in business then add a bit, the add a bit more and then electrically you get to breaking point. More than likely to now cost a small fortune to re-think the shower system through.
According to OP this is a new conversion, and therefore a new business venture. The end of the day what is required is what is required. There are many options and combinations which would give them a satisfactory solution.

Reply to Showers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock