Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Siemens Climatix Plc advice in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. edexlab

edexlab Electrician's Arms

Evening all I'm looking at learning the basics of PLC's as I've never worked with them other than wiring them up

I've done some reading so I understand the basic ideas but that's all

I've been given an unused Siemens Climatic controller POL 638.00 to play with by a friend,
    He recovered it from a damaged machine as he knew I was after a basic Plc but this is free so if I can I want to use it

Apparently it has software on board but I'd need to use "Sapro" to do anything

Can anyone tell me if this is correct and if there are any free alternatives

I've been on Siemens website and am currently reading through a lot of downloads trying to figure out what's what but it's a bit of a maze as I'm unfamiliar with these products

Any help would be appreciated

2. Rob

Rob Control System Engineer Respected Member

What are you trying to achieve with it?

The climatic controllers are really only any good for controlling HVAC installations and it is not strictly a PLC.

3. edexlab

Yes I do realise that its for HVAC controls it's just to have a play and get a feel for this kind of equipment,

Rather than just go on a simulator
    I can wire input/ output devices just basic lamps, pots etc even a PID
    controller as if I get something wrong I have to fault find as you would on a real system which would be more beneficial than a simulator

4. Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. edexlab

Thanks Rob it would definitely be something I'd look at later as I progress

Before I do part with £400 obviously it makes sense to try and work with what I've got / can afford at the moment as I'm also doing a couple of other courses right now

Can you tell me if it's possible / practical to get this unit working without buying expensive software?

said in first few posts

6. Rob

Looks like you need SAPRO software to make edits, monitor and configure. There is a SCOPE lite software but that only allows monitoring and trending of previously set up units.

Siemens also offer a programmable relay called the LOGO. The software is free and the relay will set you back between 60 - 120 quid. It's not a plc, and doesn't quite operate in the same way.

However, it will give you a decent overview and understanding of how simple bit logic works in a PLC.

• Like Like x 2
  7. edexlab

Ok thanks Rob for your advice it's a shame though I was hoping this setup could be used etc
    but never mind I was talking to a colleague today about it as he has done a course he has a logo relay and I'll have a go with this first and then progress onto something else later,

8. Rob

If you need help just let me know.

Logos are pretty powerful for a relay. However it's not quite the same as a PLC.

It will give you the general idea though.

Rockwell (Allen Bradly) offer something similar with a Micro 810. Similar cost to a LOGO, again the software is free (Called connected components workbench). It has a simulator built into the software too which is nice.

CCW also allows the programming of some of Rockwells more basic HMIs and nearly all of their VSDs.

Edit: CCW has issues now and then with the constant barrage of Microsoft updates in windows 10.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 5:54 AM