Discuss Sight for sore eyeing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rockspark

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but could'nt find a better one. I would like to hear what other guys do regarding spectacles, as my failing eyesight has been driving me mad for ages now, I am 58. A recent eye test has revealed that I basically have 3 prescriptions, my distance vision is now not as great as it was, although I am just under the threshold for needing glasses for driving. It seems I need different glasses for reading, using a computer/working, and general use/driving especially towards the end of the day when my eyes are tired. I have also got an astigmatism, which is Now causing me to get headaches and nausea.
Now, obviously, I have been to (2 different) opticians and tried different solutions, varifocals, "occupational" lenses, and now bifocals. I can't get on with any of them frankly, and I think they are beginning to despair. I am beginning to think I will just have to have 3 different pairs of glasses that I will have to swop about. The biggest problem is when working, I have to constantly put the glasses on and off, as I can see OK to move about but not work with the naked eye, but when using the latest bifocals they are a nightmare when working on light fittings where you have to crank your head right back, or on the other hand to walk down step ladders it's even worse. I am beginnng to think I would be better with those half style perch on the end of your nose type glasses! How do other guys go on??

My eye's aren't quite as bad yet, but I am long sighted and need my glasses to do the close up work. I just stick them fairly low down and look over the top until I need them, but as you say when working on light fittings it's a pain so I end up pushing them up a bit.

I was once prescribed varifocals or bifocals by an optician when I had my eyes tested, but the guy who helped with the prescription and choosing the glasses said not to bother, you'll fall over or they'll make you sick.

I'm long sighted and just had glasses for close up work, but now have some for driving as well :eek: Have my reading glasses round my neck on lanyards, plonk them on when required, along with decent lighting when necessary.

Got some prescription safety glasses which stick to the nose & ears better than the normal glasses.

For some reason, my nose hair is accelerating, my body obviously knows what it's doing. Just wondering what's going happen to me, where I need long nasal hair. o_O

So Midwest, what you are saying is just have several pairs, if necessary? After trying the varifocal/bifocal ones, I have to say there are a nightmare. If I carry on with them I will end up falling off something. Not sure about the Larry Graysone chain either, don't they get caught on things or get leaned on? I often wear a head torch for additional light, and find the band handy to jam the arms of the glasses in. Oh the joys of getting older........

Does anyone use those half rimmed end of nose type ones? I am beginning to think they might be the answer but they might have the same disadvantages as the bifocals. It's a right pain!!!!

Hi - to avoid the head tilt I got a set made up that are single focus for close work. Big sturdy ones and they help quite a bit.
Edit : I normally have varifocals to go from reading to distance, and they are fine for all except the light work as you say :)

So Midwest, what you are saying is just have several pairs, if necessary? After trying the varifocal/bifocal ones, I have to say there are a nightmare. If I carry on with them I will end up falling off something. Not sure about the Larry Graysone chain either, don't they get caught on things or get leaned on? I often wear a head torch for additional light, and find the band handy to jam the arms of the glasses in. Oh the joys of getting older........

At the moment, I can get away with just reading glasses, my distance is okay; well I can see where I need to walk. I'm told, you either get use to varifocal/bifocal, or not. Wilko seems to be okay with them.

The glasses on a lanyard work for me, as do the prescription safety glasses, something like these;

Prescription safety glasses and safety spectacles - http://www.safetyspecs.co.uk/?gclid=CIv-l7jP6dICFYU4GwodZ1oPvg

Bit like sports/cycling glasses, have gripper nose & ear pads.

Just find it easier to drop off the glasses, and they're to hand when you want them, every few seconds nowadays. Given up caring what I look like :(

Good OP this. I was going to post something similar re options re prescription safety specs and whether they can be obtained via high street opticians. Since I'm now on the upper side of 50 my close up vision has deteriorated. Reading glasses needed to read small print on important things like how long to heat pizza or microwave meals!

Interesting how many opticians prescribe driving glasses when legally as long as you can read a number plate at the prescribed distance your sight is adequate.

Interesting how many opticians prescribe driving glasses when legally as long as you can read a number plate at the prescribed distance your sight is adequate.

Not quite true, if you look at the 'Standards of vision for driving' Driving eyesight rules - GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

Not a very good standard mind, think we should stick we the opticians over egging it. Too many accidents, with people having poor sight, yet can pass the number plate test, especially driving at night.

well, only this week an elderly guy was told not to drive as his eyesight was not good enough, stubborn old fool ignored advice and went on to kill a 3 year old child on a pelican crossing.

Good OP this. I was going to post something similar re options re prescription safety specs and whether they can be obtained via high street opticians. Since I'm now on the upper side of 50 my close up vision has deteriorated. Reading glasses needed to read small print on important things like how long to heat pizza or microwave meals!

When I got my prescription safety specs a few years ago, the high st opticians didn't much in the way of choice or practical styling for work use, i.e. slipping off the end of your nose. Think they are starting to catch up now, Specsavers are doing a range by JCB for example.

I used an on-line supplier, just provide them with your prescription, they'll make them up and send to you. I was a bit cautious myself, but the end product was fine.

Which reminds me, should probably get a new up to date pair now!

well, only this week an elderly guy was told not to drive as his eyesight was not good enough, stubborn old fool ignored advice and went on to kill a 3 year old child on a pelican crossing.

Yep, some folks are just too stupid, tragic, loads of examples of that. The other favourite, is getting a first automatic car when elderly, and for some reason getting confused about the pedals and pressing the accelerator instead of the break pedal. Most end up in shop windows! Although I did know of an old dear, who crashed into clock tower on a pedestal in a shopping precinct. Clock fell down on the car and killed her!

Oh, it's nice to read that I'm not alone in finding my varifocals a complete pain when working, especially doing lighting (when, if I can be bothered, I change to a pair of reading glasses).
A friend had surgery for complete lense replacement ( like they do for cataracts) just to do away with the need for glasses - says it's the best thing she ever spent money on.....and she owns a LOT of handbags!

Instead of the Larry Grayson look you could fit some neoprene types that the surf bums use for their 'sunnies'. This should not only look better but also give you a better 'squeeze' to the sides of your head. Next pair I'm going to get some Oakleys as they have sprung sides that stick to your head. I put mine on top of my head as my Quiff holds them until they unceremoniously slip of and rattle all the way to the bottom of the ladder, then I step on them because, ironically, I haven't got my glasses on to see where I'm stepping!

I was of course referring to some classy lanyards as described, not the Larry Grayson look.

By the by, glasses on lanyards, look no worse probably better than some chaps (especially ones with bald heads :)), who take to park their glasses on top of their bounces, or worse tilt them right over to the back of their head, like some kind of Bondi Beach Bum.

I use to perch on top, but quite often forgot I did, and couldn't find me glasses. On the end of a piece of string is so much more exclusive. :rolleyes:

Larry Grayson was mentioned and it's always good to remember a bit of the past - now get off the sofa and "shut that door"!

Reply to Sight for sore eyeing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net