Discuss Signed certs that are filled in badly in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

My first stint as a QS and given that most of the certificates are dual signature its depressing. One month till the assessment and I am bricking it! How can I have any faith of duplicating any readings or that the information is even anywhere near correct!!

Why did the previous PDH and QS both leave ?. Maybe time out with who ever is doing the testing. Does someone else complete the certs from written down info who is not a competent electrician? .My advice from being both is not to even try to pull the wool over their eyes be open and honest there is not a lot you can be responsible for prior to your appointment but you can demonstrate you have a understanding what has happened in the past and how you are moving forward.

Not Verified NV, you would need to have all these listed in limitations & the reasons why the limitations are in place. gas bonding surely you would be able to see it if not at least X & put in notes location unknown believe not bonded & put X down!
most people can find something wrong on a test cert & the inspector will usually use a judgement call on what is wrong with the cert & how much & depending on if they think you have just misunderstood the question being asked or generally don't know will come down to the responses from questions they will ask you.
another thing will be if you are QS & are signing off work on behalf of others working for the company or if you are filling your certificates yourself & just you as QS.

They left in a cloud of anger between the principal project manager and the PDH. In fairness I am getting the feeling that the PDH likes to move a lot! When he drew up budgets for jobs he would go off spec and miss a lot off.
I'm just miffed as before I took the job I talked to the staff and the vibe was that the PDH was a perfectionist.

I have told the principle project manager that I will not fudge any reports even in regards to the schedules and that we will put a new procedure in place to ensure that myself and the PDH do due diligence on the certs as we cant always get it spot on first time.

Not Verified NV, you would need to have all these listed in limitations & the reasons why the limitations are in place. gas bonding surely you would be able to see it if not at least X & put in notes location unknown believe not bonded & put X down!
most people can find something wrong on a test cert & the inspector will usually use a judgement call on what is wrong with the cert & how much & depending on if they think you have just misunderstood the question being asked or generally don't know will come down to the responses from questions they will ask you.
another thing will be if you are QS & are signing off work on behalf of others working for the company or if you are filling your certificates yourself & just you as QS.
At this moment the plan is that I am not filling in any certificates. Its the plan to have 2 dedicated testers and I will ensure during the project that I am happy with standards and ensure that the works done conform. I will also have to ensure that the site testing is transferred to our electrical test sheets, rectify any issues and ask the PDH to sign.

An example of this is type C breakers with higher than permitted Zs. Ask to confirm if they are calculated readings and then look at changing to Type B or alter the circuit to ensure that the readings comply.

if these certificates are before your time as the QS then it will be company problem & may well involve visits to the sites to undertake more in depth testing with the inspector to gain a knowledge of the site & to ensure safety.
what most will look at is the consistency of the new test certs from the time you have taken over as the QS & what if any changes to the test certs from that period but may still insist on visits for the previous works.

At this moment the plan is that I am not filling in any certificates. Its the plan to have 2 dedicated testers and I will ensure during the project that I am happy with standards and ensure that the works done conform. I will also have to ensure that the site testing is transferred to our electrical test sheets, rectify any issues and ask the PDH to sign.

An example of this is type C breakers with higher than permitted Zs. Ask to confirm if they are calculated readings and then look at changing to Type B or alter the circuit to ensure that the readings comply.[/QUOTe

who is the QS for the firm ?
it will rest with them to make sure the test cert is correct, high ZS values can be used on tests certificates but again must give calculations & reasons attached or on the certificate, example lighting designer might for example change a value of acceptable ZS value in design & this would need to be recorded for the works & on the test sheet, the then changed ZS value & design would be down to the designer of the circuit.

if these certificates are before your time as the QS then it will be company problem & may well involve visits to the sites to undertake more in depth testing with the inspector to gain a knowledge of the site & to ensure safety.
what most will look at is the consistency of the new test certs from the time you have taken over as the QS & what if any changes to the test certs from that period but may still insist on visits for the previous works.
Most of these sites are for the likes Hospitals and access may not be possible?

Most of these sites are for the likes Hospitals and access may not be possible?
you would probably need that in writing on headed paper from the hospital concerned & if you mentioned you might need to have your work looked at by a governing body that would be normally acceptable & in worst case scenario you might not just have your inspector with you that day you might have a person in charges of works at the hospital to show also.
finished some works for part of NHS last year & had an audit just before when we were installing containment inspector had a look at the first fix & even mentioned having another look when we finished the project, the trust seemed very happy with that.

If it's your first job as qs the inspector will be more interested in your knowledge and how you assess your men( site ordits etc ) if you can show that you are competent then you should not have to many issues or have they ask to look at reports from the last 3 years

I have spoken the NIC and they are saying the same thing Flanders. The company are worried they will lose their accreditation
Are you doing the PDH job as well ?.
am getting the feeling that the PDH likes to move a lot! When he drew up budgets for jobs he would go off spec and miss a lot off.
Am I to assume you are referring to the project manager here ?.As long as it conforms to BS7671 then the above in not in the PDH remit eg the spec might say 20 watt LED and 15 watt is fitted is irrelevant.

Are you doing the PDH job as well ?.
Am I to assume you are referring to the project manager here ?.As long as it conforms to BS7671 then the above in not in the PDH remit eg the spec might say 20 watt LED and 15 watt is fitted is irrelevant.

He was basically the electrical guy for the company at the start. So he had a hand in all aspects, but his primary role was PDH. The company is newish to the electrical side in terms of keeping it in house and not subbed out.

It just bothers me as I have not been exposed to this sort of stuff before.

He was basically the electrical guy for the company at the start. So he had a hand in all aspects, but his primary role was PDH. The company is newish to the electrical side in terms of keeping it in house and not subbed out.

It just bothers me as I have not been exposed to this sort of stuff before.
So you had a electrical project manager ,A PDH and the Q.S ? you keep on referring to ''he'' .

Is the company you work for, giving you the time, support etc or are they like some, paying lip service, and Ant will know what I'm talking about, to carry out QS duties, or is "He" just passing the buck onto your shoulders?

Reply to Signed certs that are filled in badly in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net