Discuss Signing off a job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can someone let me know if someone 1st fixes a rewire on a property,then the builder calls someone else into 2nd fix,can this job be signed off through part p,or can the 2nd person only issue a eicr certificate

I'll guess No. 2

Cocoa this time of night! WE'RE READY!

I'm the 2nd person,im refusing to do for the builder as I know off the 1st person,and know that his work is of good standard,but ive said to him I don't think that who does it will be able to sign the works off.

Wonder if some of us can come up with bastardized names like his Wes t ward, Sin T Ra, Spin L ondon, Mur D ock sadly my name doesn't lend itself to any alterations Oh I don't know Pe T E nah sorry guys for using your names no offence meant

Surely it has to be the second person as by doing the second fix they are taking responsibility for finishing the installation and wouldn't be doing the second fix on top of an unsound first fix?

Surely it has to be the second person as by doing the second fix they are taking responsibility for finishing the installation and wouldn't be doing the second fix on top of an unsound first fix?

Would you sign off wiring that someone else has done and that you haven't seen in full? Bearing in mind it then becomes YOUR responsibility.
Daz

Bit of a catch 22 situation then as if you had done first fix would you sign off a second fix that you hadn't done? You're almost into a EICR scenario where you're going to have limitations then on what you can inspect. Bear in mind I'm a complete novice on this and intrigued to know how this would pan out.

Bit of a catch 22 situation then as if you had done first fix would you sign off a second fix that you hadn't done? You're almost into a EICR scenario where you're going to have limitations then on what you can inspect. Bear in mind I'm a complete novice on this and intrigued to know how this would pan out.

If this was to be done properly then the installation would require a multi signature certificate, with separate names for the design, installation, and inspection and test.
The person responsible for the inspection and test must inspect the wiring at first fix to be able to ensure that it complies with BS7671, and if applicable, building regulations.
The same system would need to be employed if third party notification was being used.

This would not be appropriate if the first fix installer was not around to sign the cert, and/or if the person testing had not inspected at first fix.
If this is a situation which is notifiable and the works cannot be certificted as normal, the LBC office would need to be contacted to see if they would accept an EICR in the circumstances in order to register the work with building control.

Best the builder gets electrician no 1 back.

Incidentally, a while back I did a rewire & CU replacement. My client also had a new kitchen fitted. I did most of the 1st & 2nd fix in the kitchen, but there was some of it I couldn't complete until the kitchen had been installed. I had been waiting for the phone call to go back (and the remainder of my money!), so rang the client, who informed me the remainder of the electrical work had been 2nd fixed and energised by the kitchen company.

After checking with my scheme, I issued my EIC minus the circuits I hadn't energised, and my bill adjusted accordingly. I did inspect my CU before doing so, make sure it hadn't been trashed :mad:

If you can see where all tha cables are run , (basically can you inspect all the work electrian 1 has done) then you could sign of the cert ,you would also need. to be happy with the design as you would be taken responsible for that , unless of course you can get electrian no 1 to sign that part of the cert, but has others have said if you cant see were cables are run then i would not sign off the cert

Reply to Signing off a job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock