Discuss Signing off my work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Limbo76

Go easy on the new guy please:grin:
I know this has been covered countless times on here but I just want to clarify a couple of things.
I've just had an extension built and have done the wiring myself (4 sockets joined into the upstairs ring, 2 lights joined onto the upstairs lights and a mains powered smoke detector). The sockets and lights both require MWC's and the smoke detector an EIC (as it's a new circuit and not joined onto the lighting circuit). I've done the relevant tests and filled out the appropriate cert's but am I correct in saying that I need to be a member of a relevant scheme to be authorised to sign these?
I am qualified to HNC level in Electrical and have 17th Edition and 2391 qualifications but I am an industrial Electrical Engineer and so have never needed to join a scheme.
The last time I had an extension done (on the kitchen), I tested it all myself and got a plumber friend who was Part P registered (ridiculous, I know) to sign it off. However, he hasn't kept his registration up so I would now have to find a registered spark willing to sign off my work, if I can't legally do it myself.
As far as I remember, the building inspector didn't even look at my certificates for the kitchen extension last time, so I'm thinking maybe I could chance him doing the same this time round!

The lights and the sockets do not fall under the remit of part P and therefore do not need notifying.

The Smoke circuit as it is a new circuit does need notification

You say you have completed the MIEWC, but did you use a calibrated meter?? The same with the EIC for the smoke circuit. The smoke circuit should have been notified as per part P before you started the work so tecvhnically you have broken the law already.

hang on. if building control are involved already because it's an extension having been built, they will generally just want a copy of your certificate. you will not need to be a member of a scam. with most BCs, they will want a copy of your 2382 .

Hmmm. This is where I'm getting confused. Is this not covered when the plans for the extension are submitted to the local authority? I don't recall ever notifying the LABC before starting the electrical work on the kitchen extension (in 2007). If that's the case, then I'll phone them up tomorrow to notify them.
In answer to your other question Malcolm, yes I did use a calibrated Megger Multifunction Tester.

Precisely what I thought telectrix. Think I'll phone them up tomorrow and get the BI out. I can always play dumb if he asks about notification for the smoke detector circuit. I can play dumb with the best of 'em!

Reply to Signing off my work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net