Discuss Signing off other people work????? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shocker10

Hello All

I am new to this forum so bear with me.

This is my situation, i hope you can help.

I have an american friend who is an electrician in the states. He is here on a visa that means he can't earn money while he is here. But he is willing to rewire my house for me for free, except for cost of materials.

Is there anyway this is possible as he obviously can't sign off his own work?

It would save me a fortune. But i know there are certain legal requirements to having work checked out etc...

Any advice would be jolly helpful.

thanks

Hello All

I have an american friend who is an electrician in the states. He is here on a visa that means he can't earn money while he is here. But he is willing to rewire my house for me for free, except for cost of materials.

It would save me a fortune. But i know there are certain legal requirements to having work checked out etc...

thanks
Just notify building control and they'll come out and sign it off for you, will cost though about £150+;)

The only route you can take is inform the Local Authority Building control, they will require payment for this average is £120 plus vat just to change a consumer unit. I would expect that if your friend does not have any UK qualifications they may not even accept that as his work will have to comply with BS7671

As electricians we cannot sign off other peoples work.

Hope that helps

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
get in touch with your council building control , l think you can get them to come out and sign it off , l think they come out at the 1st fix stage then the second fix stage , just make sure he works to the 17th edition regs ,phone them for the advice or ring one of the part p companies , lm with elecsa ,they will advise you as well , all the best

acat/monkeyelectric , since the part p registration have you had any grief off your mates because of this kind of request . l have ! in the pub , a mate of a mate has told someone lm registered and l may be able to give them a cert for their rewire / conservatory install and when l say l cant its a bloody nightmare , you know "the works all done right and its all working ok " and when l've mentioned getting building control in to sort it for them , all hell breaks out , . cheers lads

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I get that grief too!

I will do a PIR, takes a blooming day to do properly and sometimes thieir not happy at what I find ! (one local (shoddy) sparky may not get bought a beer for a while)

My mates dread that moment when I am sat cross legged infront of the CU with my head in my hands.....despair another broken ring!!!!!

My LABC will accept a good PIR for sign off purposes

Last edited:
Great thank you. Might be best to get someone else in to do the work. Roughly how much does it cost to rewire a 2 bed semi-detached?:

Hall, Lounge, kitchen, downstairs toilet, landing, bed 1 & 2 and bathroom?
House it a 1900.

ta :)

Hello All

thanks

He can not do any work under the conditions of his visa even free work

UK Border Agency | Can I come to the United Kingdom as a general visitor?

Last edited:

Reply to Signing off other people work????? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net