Discuss Signing off work. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

StevieTee

Got into a discussions with one of the sparks in the wholesalers today. We were talking about the scams (SELECT, NICEIC, etc) and I was discussing how pointless they are...

The lad I was talking to says he's never been part of any registered scheme. He completed his apprenticeship and went striaght into self employed ever since. Says when he tests his work and then signs off the electrical certificates, he makes copies of his grade card and calibration certificate and gets customer to send them away to local council. Never had any bother or additional fee's for this.

Surely i'm missing something here? I was always under the belief you had to be part of one of these parasite schemes to sign off your own work?

It was domestic work we were talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got into a discussions with one of the sparks in the wholesalers today. We were talking about the scams (SELECT, NICEIC, etc) and I was discussing how pointless they are...

The lad I was talking to says he's never been part of any registered scheme. He completed his apprenticeship and went striaght into self employed ever since. Says when he tests his work and then signs off the electrical certificates, he makes copies of his grade card and calibration certificate and gets customer to send them away to local council. Never had any bother or additional fee's for this.

Surely i'm missing something here? I was always under the belief you had to be part of one of these parasite schemes to sign off your own work?

Are you in Scotland?

I thought so because you said about Select. I don't think it's a requirement in Scotland to be part of Select or NICEIC.

Ginger hair is the biggest give away! Thankfully I don't have my ugly mug as my picture.

I was always under the belief even up here we had to be part of some scheme. Hope I've not been p***ing my money away!

Cheers. Hopefully one of the lads from my neck of the woods can clarify things once they havea read. The lad I was talking about isn't even an approved spark. Purely completed his apprenticehip, got his grade card and happy days.

If someone else clears this up, then I'm chucking my schemenand saving myself the pennies.

Btw Leesparkykent, I don't mean that to sound like I'm saying you've been useless lol cheers for your help.

Hellmooth is a regular on here from your way. I'm sure he'll be able to clear it up. With the compulsory EICR for landlords Becoming mandatory in Scotland surely you would benefit from being NICEIC/select as I'm sure you have to be a member. That's if you do EICRs?

Hellmooth is a regular on here from your way. I'm sure he'll be able to clear it up. With the compulsory EICR for landlords Becoming mandatory in Scotland surely you would benefit from being NICEIC/select as I'm sure you have to be a member. That's if you do EICRs?

That's a good shout, though I've not done work for landlords in a few years as I can't be bothered with the grief that comes with them... Quickly and cheaply botch it up.

No need to send off any info with card or calibration certs unless it's part of a building warrant, depends what area you're in?

I'm West Lothian and they aren't interested in any small works, I just called them there to confirm, and the guy said as long as you give the right certificates then that's fine, that was including CU changes and adding extra sockets, as long as it isn't altering the buildings structure, you can find the info online! He said the 32 councils should all work the same!

He also said they have the power to get any unsafe or unsatisfactory work ripped out and replaced but as long as your work is sound then there's not an issue, they would also have to know about any works which they clearly wouldn't, as long as the certificates are there, done by a qualified spark and calibrated gear then no issues, his words.

I am planning on joining a scheme been looking into it for a while now, but after speaking to them again it's not needed for the works I carry out at present!

No need to send off any info with card or calibration certs unless it's part of a building warrant, depends what area you're in?

I'm West Lothian and they aren't interested in any small works, I just called them there to confirm, and the guy said as long as you give the right certificates then that's fine, that was including CU changes and adding extra sockets, as long as it isn't altering the buildings structure, you can find the info online! He said the 32 councils should all work the same!

He also said they have the power to get any unsafe or unsatisfactory work ripped out and replaced but as long as your work is sound then there's not an issue, they would also have to know about any works which they clearly wouldn't, as long as the certificates are there, done by a qualified spark and calibrated gear then no issues, his words.

I am planning on joining a scheme been looking into it for a while now, but after speaking to them again it's not needed for the works I carry out at present!

I'm west of Glasgow side. Well that sounds good to me. I will be scrapping the scheme and saving they extra pennies... For the pub!

cheers for the help lads!

Phone the council and speak to building control, they'll tell you all you need to know, would be good to hear what they're take is on it, guy I spoke to was sound, was a couple of years back the last time I spoke to them and the message was the same!

Only reason I'm thinking about going with a scheme is some customers do ask for it!

Reply to Signing off work. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock