Discuss "Signing off" work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newbie90

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding periodic inspections.

My father has bought a flat which he is going to rent out. I have replaced the consumer unit and carried out a periodic inspection to ensure all is safe.

I am fully qualified but not registered with NAPIT or NICEIC, therefore I cannot "sign" the work off unless I get the council to do it.

I know it says in the regs that it should be tested each time the occupier changes which I am happy to do.

My question is - is it a legal requirement to have the work signed off? Or can I just record the results each time I test and and keep them safe, just incase the unlikelyhood of something happening?

Thanks

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding periodic inspections.

My father has bought a flat which he is going to rent out. I have replaced the consumer unit and carried out a periodic inspection to ensure all is safe.

I am fully qualified but not registered with NAPIT or NICEIC, therefore I cannot "sign" the work off unless I get the council to do it. You can indeed "sign off" your work, unfortunately in the case of the board change you have already done, you may find the council will not be impressed with you not notifying them before you started the work.
By the law and Part P as a non member of a scheme you must notify them before the work as been started, this is in order for them to issue you a building warrent.
The Periodic Inspection you talk of can be carried out and issued as a non member of a scheme. Unfortunately there may be a case if this inspection was done not only for occupancy change but also for insurance purposes, that the insurance company would want the report backed by a recognised scheme

I know it says in the regs that it should be tested each time the occupier changes which I am happy to do. This is not part of the regulations, Regulation 622 give guidance on frequency but does not actually give definate time frames or instances of why it should be done. The advice of change of occupancy is a guidance in GN 3

My question is - is it a legal requirement to have the work signed off? Or can I just record the results each time I test and and keep them safe, just incase the unlikelyhood of something happening?

Thanks

As far as i am aware it is only a recommendation that it is carried out every change of occupant. However, where you may have gone wrong is by changing the CU and not notifying it and issuing an EIC with schedule of results attached etc.....

As far as i am aware it is only a recommendation that it is carried out every change of occupant. However, where you may have gone wrong is by changing the CU and not notifying it and issuing an EIC with schedule of results attached etc.....

Thanks

I will test it each time the occupant changes and keep a record of results.

The flat is still unoccupied until its finished so I will be getting it signed off before the tenant moves in.

Newbie, apart from the issue of notifying the CU change bear in mind that any incoming tenant may ask for a certificate for the electrical installation and they would expect to see an NICEIC or similar certificate .

i prefer a consumer unit installed by a qualified spark, compared to crap installed by cowboys and signed off without looking by their "qualified supervisors"
give your Dad an EICR, dont bother with council, they wont bother with you unless you tell them.

i prefer a consumer unit installed by a qualified spark, compared to crap installed by cowboys and signed off without looking by their "qualified supervisors"
give your Dad an EICR, dont bother with council, they wont bother with you unless you tell them.

I agree with your sentiments, and for a mate or yourself, fair enough. But i think for a rental property, especially in this letigious day and age, it would be wise for the OP to get the CU notified. You have no idea what sort of people you are renting to, one shock off something and you could be in a whole world of pain without the proper paper work when an insurance company - or worse, no win no fee company gets their teeth into a case.

Perhaps i am being over cautious, or even a jobsworth and i know you would have to be unlucky to get that sort of scenario to bite you, but you can't be careful enough with some of the money grabbing idiots out there.

As others have already said, you should have notified your LBC before changing the CU if you are not a member of a scheme. Did you use calibrated test gear to carry out all the testing you did, and even though it's not been notified, have you completed an EIC?

Sorry mate but you need to get a bit more experience under your belt AND join a scheme, unless you're planning on riding a horse rather than driving a van.

Sorry mate but you need to get a bit more experience under your belt AND join a scheme, unless you're planning on riding a horse rather than driving a van.

I'm not self employed and I'm not employed as a domestic electrician.

I am fully qualified but employed as an electrical technician. Therefore rarely deal with domestic.

I don't do private work, I only help out family. I'm not exactly going to tell my father to pay someone an absolute ok fortune for something I can do myself with a little advice from others.

I'm asking questions so I do it correctly rather than a cowboy who would just go ahead and make mistakes...

The lad is trying to gain experience by doing the works, part of gaining experience is to ask question, part of being a cowboy is to go full steam ahead, not asking questions and therefore making mistakes.

Joining a scheme is not what this guy should be doing, the cost of doing so compared to the amount of work he intends to carry out is just not financially viable.

If your dad is going to do this properly then i would suggest getting the council in for this one and for each tenant have an EICR done but a scheme member. I wouldn't cut corners and try do to things on the cheap when members of the public are involved.

In your own house things are different as we all know!

Reply to "Signing off" work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net