Discuss Signing off work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt Winslade

Hi all
I need a bit of help with something.
I have passed my 2394 exam and i am awaiting a re-test date for my 2395 exam.
I work for a large facilities management company as an electrical engineer.
Just quick question about when i do private work. When i eventually get my 2395 , my friend has requested that i test his work when he has finished it ( extra sockets , fittings, extensions, rewires etc). He is a Sparky aswell(not registered with a body) but he doesnt posess the 2394 & 5 .I told him that it wouldnt be a problem for me to do it. I just want to know where i stand liability wise. If i sign off a test certificate (all being well) , do i need to notify someone ? , or can i just give a copy to the customer ?. I am not a member of NIC , napit etc etc . Could someone please point me in the right direction.
Any help is much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Matt

If you sign off his work, you are signing for all his short cuts, iffy workmanship and bodges. If anything goes wrong you're the one who signed it off as OK. So it's your neck on the chopping block in court. The nearest you will get to a sign off is to use a three sig EICR. He signs the design and install, you sign the testing. But you still need to inform the LABC. To perform testing for an EICR you need competence, the 2394, 2395 and 2391 all point in the direction of competence but another useful thing is experience.

There is no such thing or process for 3rd party sign off so don't even think about it. Why isn't your mate a member of a scheme?

In business you have NO friends,merely acquaintances, that,s rule 1.If your "mate" wants work signing off by you then suggest that you work with him on these jobs,at least that way you can sign it off honestly and with a clear conscience,the way he want,s it he is going to be the one pocketing the cash and you,all be the one copping any aggro.don't go there.

I understand about signing off work that isnt mine. I would use the multi signature test cert. I would always be present during works. I am just wondering where is stand as far as giving the customer an electrcial installation certificate. Could I legally do this? or would i have to notify building control etc ?
Thank you for your answers :)

electrical certificates and building control notification are completely seperate items.
no qualifications are needed to issue any electrical certs.
BC notification can be done by either joining a scheme or by paying a fee direct to the council depending on how often you do this work.

though not all domestic work requires notifying anyway.

Hi all
I need a bit of help with something.
I have passed my 2394 exam and i am awaiting a re-test date for my 2395 exam.
I work for a large facilities management company as an electrical engineer.
Just quick question about when i do private work. When i eventually get my 2395 , my friend has requested that i test his work when he has finished it ( extra sockets , fittings, extensions, rewires etc). He is a Sparky aswell(not registered with a body) but he doesnt posess the 2394 & 5 .I told him that it wouldnt be a problem for me to do it. I just want to know where i stand liability wise. If i sign off a test certificate (all being well) , do i need to notify someone ? , or can i just give a copy to the customer ?. I am not a member of NIC , napit etc etc . Could someone please point me in the right direction.
Any help is much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Matt

Most of these require notification under Part P - there are currently 2 ways of achieving this:

1. SELF certification by a scheme member (where the designer, installer and tester) are the same person

or

2. Pay LABC per job

There is no other way. End of.

Reply to Signing off work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net