• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Silly question GS38 probes and dead testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ok. Safe isolation at DB is quite easy pushing against solid fixed terminals but when you are checking a loose hanging wire how the hell do juggle a voltage tester with spring loaded sheaths in one hand? What do you guys use and does any of the approved kit come with croc clips?

you don't do your dead testing with a voltage indicator. you use an ohm meter /ir tester, etc. all of which have facility for croc clips.

You bin the GS38 leads IMO! Carppy annoying fused bits of sheet and not really required if you are competent. Bet someone disagrees though!

I see what you are saying, even if the whole installation is isolated, technically there is a chance something could be live still. Unlikely yes but possible. In that instance I would use the croc clips with my fluke t5. It is not easy to put probe tips on conductors at the best of times, shrouded probes would make it silly!

I presume Alan means that how do you do it if there are no exposed conductors? Can't really see how a bit of ingenuity wouldn't solve the problem, if it's just been chopped off then you only have limited options. Otherwise just use something with clips on.
If its a lighting cable you could always use a volt stick and a pair of old cutters argghhhhh

I presume Alan means that how do you do it if there are no exposed conductors? Can't really see how a bit of ingenuity wouldn't solve the problem, if it's just been chopped off then you only have limited options. Otherwise just use something with clips on.
If its a lighting cable you could always use a volt stick and a pair of old cutters argghhhhh[/QUOTE
Surely you mean a neon driver SBO....

depends whether OP meant testing for dead or dead testing. subtle wording difference, but 2 different things

depends whether OP meant testing for dead or dead testing. subtle wording difference, but 2 different things

Reply to Silly question GS38 probes and dead testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back