Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Simple question about installing motion sensor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Freeb0

Freeb0 New EF Member

Hello,

I have a simple problem, but I can't seem to find how to solve it. I hope someone here can help me out.

I have a lamp that is connected to 2 light switches. I wanted to replace 1 light switch with a motion sensor. In the previous switch 2 black cables arrived and 1 grey cable left.

First I bought a motion sensor which couldn't handle the low wattage of my LED bulb. I figured out my mistake and bought the correct one.

Now the problem is that the light sensor only has 1 entry and 1 exit. I tried each of the cables in every configuration, I even tried putting both black cables together in the motion sensor as well as the grey one but nothing seems to work. The light turns on and then never turns off again.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks!

2. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

You could have wired it up wrong, the settings on the sensor could be 'wrong' or despite what you say it may not be the correct type of sensor.

3. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Welcome to the forum mate.
    This is what I think:
    The light switches you have are currently 'change over' switches (Common, L1, L2). As you have 2 switches to activate 1 light these are used.
    Your sensor just has a Normally Open contact. Looks like you have got the wrong sensor. I presume they do sensors with 'change over' switches....

4. ElectroChem

ElectroChem Industrial Controls Electrician

Business Name:
    Automated Control Solutions
    Even then, you couldn't just whack in a sensor in place of a 2-way switch, or any time you actuated the physical switch you'd reverse the contact polarity of the sensor. The circuit needs to be rewired to a parallel double switched I would think.

5. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

If you did this and used the light switch then the sensor would not change the state of the light. The light would always be on, if the light switch was on.

6. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - you may need N at the motion detector, is there one at the switch? Pic of the detector wiring instructions would clarify (for me anyway:)).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ElectroChem

ElectroChem Industrial Controls Electrician

Business Name:
    Automated Control Solutions
    Indeed, otherwise you would turn the light on at the switch then the sensor would turn it off! I can think of no reason why you would put a PIR in a 2-way switching arrangement, but I'm just a poor industrial controls boy, the mysteries of houses are beyond me.

8. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Nothing wrong in that mate.... proper electrics.. :) Just stick the signals into a plc and then you can do anything you want with the light.. Job done.. :tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1