Discuss Simplified S-Plan and Y-Plan Wiring diagrams in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
To anyone that finds a use for these:

079e5.jpg

f2e0c.png

The diagram can be used as a boiler with a pump overrun as well, you just take the pump live / neutral / Earth from the wiring center and run it to the boiler terminals. It's just a guideline on how the average boiler is wired. It can be adapted how you need it.

The diagram can be used as a boiler with a pump overrun as well, you just take the pump live / neutral / Earth from the wiring center and run it to the boiler terminals. It's just a guideline on how the average boiler is wired. It can be adapted how you need it.

Why run the extra N and E from boiler to wiring centre for the pump? That's just a waste of cable.

You diagrams suggest that some parts do not require an Earth in the S plan but do in the Y plan?

And the numbers are wrong for a lot of room thermostats

Apologies, I uploaded an older version of the diagram as I have many copies. New Copies:

28d90.jpg

b7671.png

Also changed the roomstat terminals for ya.

As for running the neutral and earth from the boiler, I prefer to do it that way where possible so all the cables are together and I'm not borrowing neutrals from the wiring center. Also its always nice to have more cables than less when it comes to boilers. The price difference isn't that much.

Is it me but their seems to be multiple ways to wire s plan?
John Wards youtube video shows one way & Chris Kitcher shows a slightly different way

Sorry cant seem to delete duplicate pic using my ipad.

IMG_0392.PNG

IMG_0392.jpg

Is it me but their seems to be multiple ways to wire s plan?
John Wards youtube video shows one way & Chris Kitcher shows a slightly different way

Sorry cant seem to delete duplicate pic using my ipad.

View attachment 34614

View attachment 34616

No not really mate, It just depends what boiler you have to connect up to the controls. For example some boilers will need just a switch line, neutral and earth. some boilers will need live, switch line, neutral and earth and some will need live, switch line, pump live, neutral and earth. If the boiler doesn't have pump live then the pump connects up with the oranges of the valves, if it does have a pump live connection then the pump connects to this in the boiler.

Apologies, I uploaded an older version of the diagram as I have many copies. New Copies:

28d90.jpg

b7671.png

Also changed the roomstat terminals for ya.

As for running the neutral and earth from the boiler, I prefer to do it that way where possible so all the cables are together and I'm not borrowing neutrals from the wiring center. Also its always nice to have more cables than less when it comes to boilers. The price difference isn't that much.

The terminals are still wrong for a lot of room stats, but at least make a bit more sense.

That is not a borrowed neutral, it is all part of the same circuit, it just shows a lack of understanding of the actual circuit and a 'wire by numbers' approach.

I know it's not a borrowed neutral, the title says "Simplified". I am trying to draw as little on the diagram so it's easier for people to follow and understand how the systems work and what each component needs.

The numbers are there purely for an aid to other people using the diagram.

I understand the diagram fully, I don't see how you can say I have a lack of understanding? I have wired many boilers and all have worked perfectly fine with no issues.

I didn't design this for the general public to use, it's for competent persons who have an understanding of how things should be wired. Hence me posting it on "electriciansforums" not "diy.whatever"

As you stated yourself, it's not a borrowed neutral, so you would wire it back to the terminal block. Same with the Perm Live for the valve.

I appreciate the feedback, but I don't see the need to change it. If someone was to actually take the valve apart to borrow the neutral / live and feed one cable back to the terminal strip, then the issue is with them not the diagram. I'd like to think everyone has more common sense than that.

If A member of staff believes that it is indeed inaccurate, feel free to remove the whole post altogether.

What matters sometimes is the intent to help others....
I see why your Getting upset, but don't take it personally...
some people just have a different way of helping...sometimes in when writing, things don't come out the way it should...
keep up the good work mate...
I have passed some of these diagrams onto my trainees...

Diagrams and discussion appreciated. On site explanations can sometimes be a bit rushed. Pre-reading opinions and diagrams avoids the blank look of total incomprehension; in my case to ERR... incomprehension ;)

Surly the valve orange goes to boiler switch live as all boilers I've worked with need permanent live and they don't need simplifying them
Heatings are the easiest thing to do if u have a basic understanding of electrics

Surly the valve orange goes to boiler switch live as all boilers I've worked with need permanent live and they don't need simplifying them
Heatings are the easiest thing to do if u have a basic understanding of electrics
Yeah, your right, I never even realised I had it going into L not SW. Opps

Top job Jamchiv.

As you say, it's a schematic for competent people to follow, but there are always those people who would take the valve apart and solder on the extra Grey, Blue Orange and Earth from the next zone valve, to comply with the "photograph" of how it should be wired, and then tell you the cable should've been wired back to the wiring centre as it's easier!! Laugh out loud at some of the comments. You only put it on to be helpful, then get criticised!!

Well done anyway. I will be using your drawing to teach others as its really well put together and easy to follow. You have spent a lot of time drawing that - I know as I have done plenty with WORD!!

No not really mate, It just depends what boiler you have to connect up to the controls. For example some boilers will need just a switch line, neutral and earth. some boilers will need live, switch line, neutral and earth and some will need live, switch line, pump live, neutral and earth. If the boiler doesn't have pump live then the pump connects up with the oranges of the valves, if it does have a pump live connection then the pump connects to this in the boiler.
Don't forget John Ward has provided two methods for S plan (2 Port Valve) and Y Plan (3 port Valve).

Reply to Simplified S-Plan and Y-Plan Wiring diagrams in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net