Discuss Single earth electrode generator in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Ships

you have a 40Kw generator in a vast expanse of concrete genny is also raised up on 6x6 wood timbers
one earth electrode
genny works fine all voltages check etc
you should be able to test the electrode with the bloody earth loop tester but that doesn't work.
to confirm its a three wire tester one one live one on neutral one on the earth thats only connected to earth.
how else would you confirm the earth
stakes can't be used concrete
stakeless can't be used no parallel path

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks but unfortunately no the neutral and earth are linked together. It did confirm things i already knew.

something is not right i'm just not seeing it.

The only way you can measure the resistance of the earth electrode in this situation is with a proprietary earth electrode tester as the earth electrode is not used as the means of earthing, only to reference the genny the the general mass of earth.

But how do you do that if you can't use a staked method tester because of the concrete there is some pipes maybe but their no where near in a straight line.
And clamped meters won't work because there is no parallel paths

Ships,

Is this a temporary generator installation, or is it going to be permanent source of power to an installation, be it stand-by or prime power??

But how do you do that if you can't use a staked method tester because of the concrete there is some pipes maybe but their no where near in a straight line.

Did you install the electrode by drilling down through this concrete then, or did you run the coductor to more suitable ground???

Are there any extraneous or exposed conductive parts from any other electrical systems in close proximity to the genny at all??

Its a girder going down into the ground other girders are nearby but connected together so you'd just measure the resistence of the girders not its suitability to earth.
In real terms it should be an amazing earth and very suitable but i would like to perform a test and confirm it so you can see it in black and white.

could you use an earth electrode tester, and ensure your test rods are a long distance from the steels, in order to get an accurate reading. Say you place your test rod at 60m away and your reference rod 100m. That would give you a reading, and tell you if it is suitable. I'm happy to hear other suggestions?

Last edited:

Reply to Single earth electrode generator in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net