Discuss Sink in bedroom with ajacent light switch in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Graeme Harrold

Just completed a tasty domestic PIR today loaded with problems. The only concern I have is regarding sinks in the bedroom with a light switch on the wall next to it supplying a recessed spotlight above. With all the bits located in building regs, BRB and OSG, there apears nothing related to just having a sink in close proximity to and electrical accessory. OSG only mentions Kitchen Sinks.

Your thoughts appreciated, I may just recommend that "danglies" are fitted. Installation is fully on rewirable fuses with a front end RCD main switch.

i would take the same line as the kitchen sink, (300mm) away, building regs.
hope this helps
danny

The building Reg's do make mention of 'socket outlets and accessories' with the 300mm proviso and also you have BS7671's 'selection of equipment appropriate to external influences'

I would consider a normal light switch next to a sink in arms reach to be dangerous and give it a code 1, agree with others regarding socket.

Hmm,......as far as I can see there are no requirements for switches and sinks in non-special locations.
Thoughts....
1.Code 1. A real and immediate danger? not for me.
2.code2.Requires improvement?...possibly but cant be backed up with a reg.
3.code 4,Does not comply with bs 7671?....well as far as I can see it does.

I think possibly a code 2 might be appropriate.

Totally agree with a code 2 or no code- a code 1 is more applicable to exposed live parts etc, it's all about risk assessment and in all honesty, the risk with switches etc near sinks is almost non-existent hence the lack of a particular regulation.

Thanks guys, it bits like this that dont readily fall under any reg, think IQ got it with selection of equipment. This PIR was requested by the estate agent (full price not your usual ÂŁ40 drive by!!!) for letting, so Ill go with code 2 and quote the regs for selection.......Thanks

Out of interest Graeme, what is 'full price' and what was the property size?
PM me if you don't want to post up.

I have no problem posting realistic pricing as I know this is an open forum that may be accessed by Google searches etc. Anyone can have cut price work done, but at the end of the day they will also get cut price service. I charged ÂŁ175 for this and spent almost 6 hours in the property followed by a couple of hours of paperwork.

2 bedroom bungalow on 7 circuits split over 2 rewirable wylex boards plus 4 storage heaters on another rewireable board. Hopefully this sounds a fair price for the work involved and does not devalue the trade locally..........

175 pounds for a days work is very reasonable and luckily the estate agents realise this. In fact Graeme you may have slighlty undersold yourself 8 hours work could be about 240 pounds.

But fair play to you for giving a good days work to provide a proper inspection

There was also ÂŁ30 of PAT testing on top of this within the 8 hours.........not forgetting the hour out for lunch :eek:, so not such a bad day. No also looking at ÂŁ370 is of rectification work (another full day)

Reply to Sink in bedroom with ajacent light switch in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net